Chapter 3: Forbidden Love

The next morning, you find yourself sitting beside Karkat, feeding your crow breakfast and waiting for the troll to wake up. He's sleeping so peacefully, practically dead to the world. You didn't know he could purr. Guess you're not that far in your "How To Troll" book yet. You should really give that a read sometime. You push the hair out of his face, watching him carefully. His nose twitches, but otherwise he stays asleep. You consider kissing him awake, like in the fairy tales, but instead you gently set your crow on the princes shoulder. Your feathered friend pecks at his hair, finally causing Karkat to stir. He opens an eye half way, grumbling in a groggy voice, "Equius...?"

"No, who is this Equius fellow you keep mentioning? Does he usually peck you good morning? What's going on here?" you start blabbering, since you had a lot to say and had been waiting all night to say it, "Well, the good news is that I got the vials correct and your guards are all alive, so congratulations on that. Also, I heard you had a speech today. Officially announcing the marriage, hm? Just remember that I can't protect you if you chose incorrectly. Either way, I think your ability to public speak is endearing. I'm not much of a public speaker myself, actually I'm not much of a public anything. Maybe some sort of sick, twisted icon, but nothing worth bragging about."

He sits up and the crow flies from his shoulder, causing him to yelp and point, "Is...Is that a bird...? In my room?"

You watch the crow move back to your shoulder. "Yes," you glance up at it, "I'm sure it is. I didn't ask him if he was otherwise."

Karkat chuckles at that and cocks his head to the side, "Did you name him?"

You panic. You'd never once thought to name him, "Uh, Crother," You mentally slap yourself for such a stupid name, but you panicked and decided to smash together the first two words that popped into your head, Crow and Brother. Hopefully the prince doesn't notice.

He seems to pay it no mind. "Crother...I like it. Very unique. I suppose I should give you an answer for an answer, so no. Equius is my personal guard. He normally wakes me up in the morning. Speaking of which, what are you doing here? You could've killed me in my sleep."

"But I didn't," you say calmly, "I told you, I don't have to kill you if you make the right decisions."

He frowns, "...what if i don't know what the right decision is? What if..." he trails off.

"What if what?"

Karkat hesitates a moment before speaking, refusing to meet your eyes, "What if my mind is telling me what I'm supposed to do...but my heart is telling me what I really want? What do I do then?" He glances up at you.

"Depends on what you're being told," you sit straighter. You may look calm on the outside, but on the inside you've already had three major heart attacks.

He looks away and nods, standing, "I should get ready. Equius will be here to collect me soon."

You hesitate for a moment before asking, quietly, "what is your 'heart' telling you to do?"

The prince stops dead in his track, his heart skipping a beat as he looks back at you, a small, weak smile forming on his lips, "...I'm not sure yet...We're still trying to straighten that out..."

You clear your throat, blushing slightly and stand up, "Of course. Should I leave? Since you need to get ready and all..."

He shrugs, opening his closet doors, "I suppose if you must...will you be there?"

You nod, staring at him for a moment, "Yes, I will, but I don't think I'll get to talk to you there."

The troll chuckles softly, "We both know you'll be here tonight."