Unthinkable ~ Chapter 9

"Good job, Manila," my physical therapist stated as I started to pack my things after another therapy session. "Your leg is really improving quickly. You should be good to go on your own after next week. Then you just have to come over every once and a while for a check-up."

"Thanks," I replied, with a smile. I swung my drawstring pack over my shoulder and walked out the door. As soon as I stepped out of the room I was greeted by the usual hustle and bustle of the hospital, even if it was just the therapy wing. I tried to weave my way past the people and tables when I bumped into someone.

"Ow!" I stumbled backwards and rubbed my forehead, not bothering to look up from the floor. "What's your prob--"

"Nice to see you too, Manny." My eyes shot up to the soft brown eyes just a few centimeters above mine, a smile stretching across my face.

"My bad." A giggle bubbled from my lips as I brushed imaginary dirt off my shoulders. "How are you, Maybelle?"

"Great," she replied. "I'm really getting used to working with one arm. They said I should be out of physical therapy in about a week's time."

"Same here!"

"Heh, yeah." She wrapped her arm around my shoulder as we walked on. "Besides, it's really nice to get to hang out with my sister these days. She's been really busy lately and every time she's free, I'm at therapy." I nodded. I was glad that she could see her sister again; it sounded a lot like me and Damien. "How about you? How's your family?"

I froze in my tracks at that question, a familiar yet strange feeling overcoming me. I couldn't explain it, but it was like my stomach dropped.

"What's wrong?" Maybelle turned towards me, her brow furrowed. I shook my head and let out a wisp of air.

"It's nothing, really. My family's fine." Why was I getting this awful feeling? Suddenly, it hit me. "It's just... I don't know where half my family even is. Or who they are."

"What?" Maybelle stepped in front of me so that we were face to face, one eyebrow raised in question. "What do you mean?"

A sigh escaped my lips.

"There's this woman named Jade who's apparently my guardian. She's really sweet and it seems that I really looked up to her as a mother figure before my accident." I averted my gaze from Maybelle's anxious eyes, taking a deep breath. "Thing is, she's not my mother. And I don't know where she, or my father, is."

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry." I felt a hand lay on my shoulder, but I shrugged it off.

"It's fine, really." I shot Maybelle a smile. "I do get to see my brother a lot nowadays, though. So, that's nice."

"Good. It's good to know you're enjoying yourself somewhat."

I laughed. "What do you mean? I enjoy myself plenty these days. What with you, Damien, Kania, and..." My voice trailed off as the color in Maybelle's face drained completely. Her eyes widened and her mouth fell slightly ajar.

"Maybelle, are you okay?" I asked, my own eyes frantically searching hers. I grabbed her hand. "What's wrong?" Just as quickly as it came, her perturbed expression faded. She shook her head lightly as if waking up from a dream.

"Oh, it's nothing, really. Sorry, I just... thought you named someone I knew. But I'm positive it's someone else, so don't worry." She flashed me an encouraging smile and squeezed my hand, but my forehead stayed crinkled for a while.

"Okay, if you say so." I let go of the subject and rolled my eyes playfully. We walked a few more steps before Maybelle spun around on her heels to face me, a satisfied grin plastered across her face.