Chapter 7: The Scan

Chapter 7: The Scan

Tuesday 22nd June 

I gripped my maternity notes as we drove the long and painful drive to the hospital. Why was it taking so long? Stupid traffic, I knew I should have just walked the 15 minutes but no, Noah insisted on driving there in his mom's 7 seater.

"Oh my god traffic." I shouted.

"Calm down we're turning off as soon as we get past these traffic lights, away from the traffic." Noah told me.

We were on our way to the hospital for my dating scan, well it was supposed to be a dating scan but it will be an anomaly scan as well, which is the one you get between 18 and 21 weeks. I was 17 which is what we estimated but it is still round about 18 weeks. Hopefully we would be able to find out the gender today, but I wasn't getting my hopes up. I looked down at my bulging belly and rubbed in comfortingly. It was no longer possible to hide it, not that I was trying, I loved my baby. People in the streets obviously didn't like it but it was none of their business so I didn't let it get to me. People at school are definitely going to get a shock though.

Everyone at home now was cool with it, well the people that knew, mom knew, along with Dave, Kate, Jack, Char, Anna, Cameron, Katie, Daniel and obviously Noah. But I still had to tell my dad and brother, and they will be here in 3 days for my birthday get together, they didn't know about the engagement either, but once they knew it was going on Facebook, I didn't care who knew, I loved Noah and he loved me and we were proud of our engagement and baby. I didn't know whether to tell them over the phone or face to face though, but they will see it for themseleves face to face and I don't want them to find out like that, not that my dad has ever been there for me as much as mom and Dave but he is still my dad and he does try, but he works away and I do love him But my brother Jake has tried and I love him. Finally the traffic lights changed again and we turned right, in the direction away from the traffic.

"See it didn't take long, your pregnancy hormones are going everywhere." Noah said.

"Hey it isn't my fault I'm cranky, the morning sickness has really kicked in over the last 2 weeks, I better not be ill on my birthday." I said.

The midwife was right, the morning sickness kicked in around 15 weeks if our estimations are correct, and it has been most days since then, but I am starting to feel a bit better now, I think it is going because I was only sick once this morning and not 3 times like most days last week.

"I'm sure it will be fine baby, we'll talk to the doctor about it today and see what they say."

"This isn't a doctors appointment, this is a scan. I can't see my midwife until we get back home next week."

We had decided to go back on the first week of July, for a couple of reasons, one being that my mom has quite a few weddings over the course of July, Noah wants to start working to get prepared for the baby and Kate, Jack and Dave need to crack on with their work as well. But we didn't mind, I could then concentrate of having a healthy pregnancy and seeing my midwife instead of waiting until the end of August because that isn't healthy, idealy you should have one once a month or every 3 weeks even.

"Well we can ask the doctor then, or you can ring your midwife, she is there for that reason and she said to ring if you needed to ask anything."

"I suppose so."

"Cheer up, we get to see our baby on screen today for the first time and we might find out if it is a boy or a girl."

"I know, it is exciting, I can't wait." I replied, instantly cheering up.

"That's my girl."

We spent the rest of the trip in silence and when we arrived a couple of minutes later I unbuckled my seat belt, grabbed my maternity notes and put them in my bag along with my phone and then got out of the car, shutting the door behind me, Noah locking it and then we walked into the hospital hand in hand. After a few more minutes we found the antenatal ward and went to the front desk.