14: In the Morning I'll Walk Away

Start from the beginning

     "Worry about yourself. You need the help." She crossed her arms.

     "Last time I checked, you're the one who came into my room. What do you want?"

     She rolled her eyes. "I need to borrow a shirt."

     "Again? No way, go. You have plenty. I've seen the number of clothes scattered on your floor."

     "They're on the floor because they're dirty. Duh."

     "Then do laundry. Duh."

     "Whatever, you suck." She said walking out.

     "Love you too."

     To waste some time, I worked on an essay due next Thursday and some college algebra worksheets. Sorting out math problems always calmed me down for some reason. It was soothing. Probably because I was working out problems that weren't my own.

     "Honey! Avery is here!" My mom yelled an hour later.

     "Come up!" I yelled.

     Avery came in with his usual messy hair and denim jacket. "Hey!"

     "Hey! How's it going?"

     "So good. I slept in until one today."

     "So you woke up...an hour and a half ago."

     "Yep!"

     "Nice." I laughed.

     "What have you done all day?" He asked plopping down onto my bean bag.

     "I was at the nameless boy's cabin."

     "Oh yeah?"

     "Yeah. I spent the night there last night."

     His face became pale and he cleared his throat. "What?"

     "Nothing happened, in fact, he said it was the last time we could spend time together. He officially wants nothing to do with me or even attempt a relationship."

     He took a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

     "It's cool. It was doomed from the start. I was so dumb to actually get feelings."

     "It's not like you did it on purpose...feelings just happen and there's nothing you can do. Once they're there, you can't just ignore them. You're stuck. No matter what, nothing can change it."

     I looked up at Avery and realized what he was hinting at. He was talking about his feelings for me. Great, just great.

     "Avery-"

     "It's okay. You don't have to explain. I know how it is."

     I felt a punch of guilt in my gut. What was I supposed to say now? "So...him and I were a bad idea from the start, right? I shouldn't keep fighting for him."

     "From experience, you never end up winning the fight, so why try?"

     "I'm sorry for coming to you with this. I honestly thought you didn't have any more feelings for me."

     "I pretended not to because I knew it would make your life easier."

     "Thank you, but don't lie to me okay? We're too close to lie."

     "Deal."

     "Come here, kid," I said standing up and holding my arms out. He smiled as he gave me a tight hug.