14: In the Morning I'll Walk Away

Start from the beginning

     "I know, I'm sorry." He looked down.

     "Can we at least still go to prom together?" I asked hopefully for a sympathetic 'yes'.

     "I don't know." He said scratching his head.

     "Think about it. Okay? It's senior year. We don't get another chance at prom after this." It was true. As cheesy as prom is, it's something special that we should attend simply for the hell of it and because we can. I have a theory that it's not lame unless you make it lame. With the right people and music, it could be great.

     "Okay, I will."

     "Well, I guess I should get going now," I said getting up from the comfy bed.

     "Arabella." He said taking ahold of my hand.

     "Yes?"

     "I'm sorry it has to be like this."

     "It doesn't have to be, but you've made your choice," I said making my way towards the door and picking up my bags. As I walked away, I could feel a sting in my chest and my stomach knot, but I didn't dare look behind me. It would've been too hard to leave.

     I guess this was it.

     "Daniela, please come over."

     "I can't! I'm at my grandma's today. She's making enchiladas for my family."

     "Oh, that sounds amazing. I guess it wouldn't have made sense anyway...I kind of told my parents that I spent the night at your place."

     "What? Why? Where were you!" She asked frantically.

     "At His cabin. I spent the night, but NOTHING happened."

     "Oh my goodness! You guys did it, didn't you?" She squealed. "Arabella you need to chill!"

     "No! God, no. Nothing like that happened! It was late and he let me spend the night, because apparently now we can't even be friends anymore. He didn't make any sense. Now that I think about it, maybe it was just his schizophrenia acting up."

     "Yeah, that's probably why! Or just an excuse to sleep with you."

     "That's all we did! Literally just slept!" I yelled. "The weird thing is how normal he seemed though. He was acting as if we were a couple...so I can't imagine that it would be acting up."

     "Hmm." She hummed in thought.

     "I'll ask Avery what he thinks. Surely he'll have an opinion."

     "Yeah!"

     "I'll talk to you later. Tell your grandma hi for me."

     I hung up and immediately asked Avery to come over. My sister walked into my room, the stench of her bath and body works perfume surrounding my room in a cloud.

     "Could you lay off the perfume?" I coughed.

     "No, it wears off after like an hour, so I have to put on a lot." She explained.

     "Where are you going?" I asked.

     "None of your business."

     "Jamie."

     "Arabella." She mocked my tone.

     "Fine, be like that. I'm just trying to be a caring sister who actually cares about her little sister's life and plans for the day."