My Dead Girlfriend Keeps Messaging Me on Facebook...

Start from the beginning

Around February 2014, Emily started tagging herself in my photos. I would get notifications for them, but they'd normally be removed by the time I got to the picture. The first time I actually caught one, it felt like someone had punched me in the gut. 'She' would tag herself in spaces where it was plausable for her to be, or where she'd usually hang out. I've got screenshots of 2 (from April and June; these are the only ones I've been able to catch, so they're a little out of the timeline I'm trying to write out.)

Around this time, I began to lose sleep. I was too angry to sleep.

She would tag herself in random photos every couple of weeks. The friends who noticed it thought it was some fucked up bug; I found out recently that there have been friends who have noticed and didn't say anything about it. Some of them even removed me from their Facebook friends list.

At this point, you may be wondering 'Why didn't you just kill your Facebook profile?' I almost wish I did. I did for a little while. On days when I can't get out there, it's nice to have friends to chat with. It's nice visiting Em's page when the little green dot isn't next to her name. I was already socially reclusive when Em was alive; her death turned me into something pretty close to a hermit, and Facebook and MMO's were (are) my only real social outlets.

March 15, 2014

I sent what I assumed was Em's hacker a message

On March 25th, I got an 'answer'.
It wasn't until a few months after going through these chats that I discovered that she was recycling my own words as well.

My response seems kinda lackluster here. I was intentionally providing her/him with emotional 'bait' ('This is actually devastating') to keep them interested in their game; I was working off the assumption that the kind of person who would do this is the kind of person that thrives of off the distress of others. I was posting in tech forums, trying to find a way to find this person, contacting Facebook. I needed to keep them around to gather 'evidence'.

I had even changed the password and security details several times.

April 16, 2014