Shut Up and Dance

Start from the beginning

I take Asher's hand and start spinning, extending my leg as I twirled. I felt Asher's body weight shift, anticipating his next move. He gently places his hand on the outer side of my quad on the extended leg, and swiftly lifts me off the ground. I wrap the leg he is holding around his waist and put my hand on the back of his head for support. I extend the opposite leg and he starts spinning. As he spins, I loosen my position. He moves his hands to my waist, moving carefully so I don't fall. I take the hint and release my leg, and grab his shoulders with my hands. He continues to spin while I extend my legs into a split position. He releases my waist, and I gasp at that fact that I'm falling towards the ground. I close my eyes, and hit something solid yet soft, Asher's arms. He sets me on the ground.

A backless dress and some beat up sneaks, my discothèque, Juliet teenage dream. I felt it in my chest as she looked at me. I knew we were bound to be together, bound to be together

 I turn so the crowd can see the back of my dress, but then I turn Asher so his right side is to the crowd. I start pushing him across the stage until he stops me by removing my hand from his shirt. We stand there for a minute staring, but I take my other hand, wrapping it around his neck.

She took my arm, I don't know how it happened. We took the floor and she said, "Oh, don't you dare look back. Just keep your eyes on me." I said, "You're holding back, "

She said, "Shut up and dance with me!"

"Trust me," Asher whispers, and I know exactly what comes next. He bends his knee, and I put my foot on his thigh. He puts his hands on my calf for stability, and I jump upward. I throw my body backwards, doing a back flip in the air. Swiftly, Asher catches me before I hit the ground, my legs wrapping around him, our faces inches apart. I hear the crowd cheering and grin.

"That was Asher Carlton and Rebecca Evans. It sure is getting hot in here!" The announcer says while Asher and I walk off stage.

"You had a backup performance?" Paisley says, horrified.

"No, that was spur-of-the-moment," I retort, "But why would we need a backup dance, it's not like some cockroach would steal our dance."

"I don't know what you're talking about," She huffs, storming off.

"We preformed your dance, didn't we?" Cole asks.

"Yeah," I reply.

"I had no idea, I'm sorry,"

"It's okay,"

"I don't think we've properly met, I'm Asher," Asher says. I look at him shocked, he hated Cole. As if reading my mind, he whispers, "You trust him and I trust you, so I'll give him a chance,"

"I'm Cole," Cole replies, "You have one talented partner,"

"I know, I'm the luckiest guy in the world,"

"I didn't know you felt that way," I blurt.

"You're amazing Rebecca," He says, smiling at me.

"I think you're amazing too,"

"I'm going to go throw up," Cole says, "But btw you guys are the cutest couple,"

"Thanks, I'll see you later," I say, and Cole walks away.

"Once the duets are done, you have to do your improv," Asher says. 

"I know," I sigh.

"Hey, don't be nervous about it." He places his hands on the small of my back pulling me closer, "It's no different than what we just did,"

"It's completely different,"

"How?"

"You won't be there,"

"Bec, it doesn't matter what you do out there. All that matters is that you do it with your heart, you don't need me. You need to have faith in yourself and your abilities."

"I'm scared,"

"I know, but you are strong,"

"I can't do this," I turn to run away, but I feel someone grab my arm, "Ash- 

I stop my statement when I see that it's not Asher holding my arm, but my dad.

"Go away," I say.

"Not this time," He replies, "let's talk," 

"How about no?"

"Fine, I'll talk, you listen," 

"NO," I turn away from him and come face-to-face with Asher.

"Go with him Becca," He urges.

"Why are you on his side?" 

"Why are you against him? He's your father,"

"I can't,"

"That's not a good excuse,"

"I have my reasons,"

"You do? They must be fantastic for you to not even listen to what he has to say," I turn back to my dad.

"You have five minutes, don't waste them," I sigh, walking to the dressing room.

I straddle the chair and my dad sits on the couch in front of me. I put my hands on the top of the chair and put my head on top of them.

"Let me start off to say, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I haven't been around lately, I never meant to spend so much time away from you," He says, "I have my reasons but none of them are worth losing you,"

"You only got five minutes, you shouldn't waste them on pointless apologies," I retort.

"Fine, I'll get straight to the point, I'm expanding," He says.

"What are you talking about?"

"The recording company, I've been asked to expand, it's been in progress for a couple of week, and we finally decided where we're locating."

"I know I'm going to hate myself for asking, but where?"

"London, Australia, and Canada,"

"I still don't understand what this has to do with me,"

"I renamed the company, in one week it's official name is Rebecords,"

"Clever,"

"Keeping the old name didn't feel right, it didn't have any value. Now, every time I see the name or someone mentions it, I'll think of you, the one thing I value the most."

"Oh,"

"Now the franchise is spreading and more people will hear the name, the name inspired by my beautiful, talented daughter,"

"So, you've been gone so much extra time, expanding?" I question.

"No, that wouldn't take any extra time. The time was spent changing the name, since I'm not changing the company, just the name. The lawyers were afraid it would confuse the people, but I insisted." He replies.

"You did it all because of me?"

"Yes, because you're the best thing I have,"

"I'm not worth it,"

"No, you're not,"

"What?"

"You're worth so much more." 

"Rebecca, it's time," Mr. Carlton says, opening the door, "Hopefully, you two have worked out your differences." He leaves and my father stands. I stand as well, walking over to my dad, wrapping my arms around him.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask.

"I wanted it to be a surprise, I'm sorry," He replies.

"Thank you,"

"I'd do anything for you, I love you so much,"

"I love you too, daddy," I feel his soft hands on my back, making me feel safe.