Complicated pt. 2

Rebecca POV

I wipe the tears off my face when I hear a knock at the door. I stand up, adjusting my costume.

"It's time," Asher says. 

"Ash, don't be mad at me," I plead.

"Let's just get this over with, and then you can get what you want," He replies with no emotion.

"What's do I want?" 

"To get out of the school,"

"What?"

"That's what you told me,"

"No,"

"Oh, right, your exact words were 'I don't dance',"

"I didn't then, but-

"That was the first lie you spoke to me," He says, accusingly.

"This is unbelievable, I was going to apologize but you're not worth it," I say, my level of irritation growing.

"Real mature," He says, rolling his eyes.

"So you think I'm the immature one?" I scoff, "You won't trust me," I walk up to him, putting my hands on his chest, shoving him, but he catches my wrist as he stumbles a bit.  

"That's because you won't trust me," He says, angrily.

"What's going on?" Mr. Carlton asks, walking up. 

"Ask him," I say, pulling my wrists out of his grasp.

"Does this have to do with you dropping out of school?" He asks me.

"You told him that I wanted to drop out?" I ask Asher.

"Maybe," Asher shrugs.

"You're such a di-

"Hey, I suggest you don't finish that statement and both of you need to get on stage, now." Mr. Carlton interrupts. Asher and I start walking away but Mr. Carlton stops me, "What's wrong?" 

"Like you care," I say, pulling away.

"You need to go, but we will continue this conversation after," I look down and brush past him. 

I stand in the wings, watching the lights dim. I slowly walk to my mark with the rest of the group. I feel Asher hand on my waist, getting into position. 

"Let's get this over with," He whispers. I keep my eyes forward as the lights begin to come on. I feel my breath catch in my throat as my eyes adjust and I realize how many people are starring at me. All my muscles freeze as the music begins. When I hear the cue, I start the routine, my body moving to the music. I don't feel any passion as I dance, all I feel is frustration. I feel like a robot not a dancer, everything is forced not fluid. I could sense a change in Asher's movements too. Every time we touched, his body felt tense. 

When the dance is over, I quickly rush off stage, running into Mr. Carlton.

"Uh-oh," I say, knowing he saw everything.

"You two have a whole lot of explaining to do," He says, pointing at Asher and I. He leads us back to my dressing room, locking the door behind us.

"What the hell just happened?" He exclaimed, pointing in the direction of the stage.

"Ask her," Asher says, pointedly. 

"Me? What about you Mr. Mood swing?" I complain.

"You keep lying to me, how am I supposed to react?" He tries defending himself.