Chapter 19: Inner Conflict

Drip, drip, drip.

The sound of the blood dripping off her body made Kaede smile. She looked down at her blood stained hands, smearing around the red substance. It was even more pleasing to know that the blood belonged to Kakuzawa, the man responsible for so much of her pain.

"I've longed to take his life." She said. Her thoughts turned inward. "You did too, didn't you Lucy? And don't you dare deny it."

She couldn't. Lucy may have had a hard life due to human cruelty, but Kakuzawa had been responsible for most of her torment. She had sworn never to kill again, but she couldn't bring herself to feel bad for the mad man's death. In fact, she was happy he was gone. The world really was a better place without him. Human, Diclonius, it didn't matter, it was because there were people like him that others had to suffer.

"What's wrong?" Kaede asked. "Why don't you rejoice? I feel how glad you are that he's gone. Take pleasure in it. You're free now."

'Free?' Lucy muttered. 'You call this free? This isn't free. One prison was merely exchanged for another.'

Kaede sighed. "Oh my dearest Lucy. In time, you will understand. We shall wipe out all humans and populate this world with Diclonius. We will be supreme. The new queen of our own race. The mother of them all. There will be no more hiding what we are. We will be well and truly free. Both of us."

'No!' Lucy cried. 'I won't be free. I won't ever be free as long as you're here. You're keeping me prisoner. The things you want for me, for our race, I want no part of. I don't give a damn about any of it. You're no different from Kakuzawa and his deranged scientists. You're just using me to achieve your own goals.'

Kaede's eyes narrowed. "They are our goals. You just aren't strong enough to reach for them. That's why you need me. You've always needed me. That's why you created me, because you're too damn weak to do anything. I've done what you couldn't."

Lucy felt her temper snap. 'Need you? I don't need you! You've done nothing but ruin my life! If you had never come to me that festival night all those years ago, if you had never made me into a killer, I could have had a decent life! I could have grown up with Kohta and learned that there was more to humanity than cruelty! You think I need you? I don't need you! It's you who needs me! I'm the queen of the Diclonius! It's my body that holds the key to their future! Without me, you can't achieve your goals! Without me, you wouldn't even exist! I need you? No, I never needed you! I didn't need you back then, and I don't need you now!'

Kaede doubled over. She felt Lucy taking over. She was surprised by Lucy's sudden display of strength. There was something different in the way Lucy was fighting her. In the past when she had struggled for control, it was only for the body. She had accepted that Kaede was a part of her and was only trying to keep her locked away. Now she was trying to get rid of her. To erase her the same way she had created her.

"Very well, Lucy." She said. "Lets see what's stronger, instinct, or willpower."

Lucy slowly opened her eyes. It made no difference. It was so dark that she couldn't tell the difference from when her eyes were closed. It was as if she had gone blind.

She sat up worriedly. Once she did, she looked down and saw herself. She could see her body just fine. It was as if everything else had vanished and she was the only thing that existed, lost in darkness. And she was naked too; not that it bothered her, but she did wonder why.