Chapter 15: It Comes To An End

Director Kakuzawa pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. Things were beginning to fall apart. It had all begun when Lucy had escaped for the first time. That's when his plans began falling to ruin.

Damn his miserable son for letting her go. The idiot had been a selfish bastard, thinking only about himself and his own gene pool. The fool had wanted to impregnate Lucy with his own child and begin the next generation of Diclonius.

How stupid could he be? Didn't he know that their DNA was completely screwed up due to constant inter-breeding with humans? They were left with small horns, unable to sense their own kind, and no vectors. To put their genes into the generation born from the queen of their species was idiotic.

Yes, his son had been a fool. But his own goal was meant for the whole world. His aim was to create a being superior to all, human and Diclonius. That was what he wanted, to create a perfect race. Lucy, he believed, was his best chance at accomplishing this, but she had become a liability. That's why he had ordered her to be destroyed if she couldn't be caught. He wanted her for research, but he would have her removed if she put his master plan in jeopardy.

He needed to keep it quiet though. His whole operation had to remain a secret. Society didn't understand. They wouldn't condole his actions because they saw them as cruel. Didn't they understand that sacrifices were necessary? Fortunately, due to a Diclonius' nature, it was easy to get humanity to see them as an enemy. But there were those idealistic fools who thought that they were all equal, whether human or Diclonius. They would fight against his cause. So he kept it a secret. He had hoped that Kenshin would be able to pull it off, and so far things had been kept quiet, but Lucy was still out there, possibly exposing his secrets.

His phone rang, interrupting his thoughts. With an irritably groan, he answered it. "Kakuzawa."

"Sir, Number 28 has returned."

Kakuzawa raised an eyebrow. Interesting timing. He wondered if Kenshin had managed to bring Lucy back. He doubted it. Lucy wouldn't come back willingly. Not unless she had switched to that childish personality that he had seen once or twice. Either way, it was good news, and he went to greet the empty-headed Diclonius.

Kenshin hadn't changed. He even wore the same clothes he had left in. Kakuzawa grinned down at the boy.

"Welcome back, Kenshin. Did your mission go well?"

Kwnshin looked up at him with empty eyes. "I don't know."

"Of course you don't." Kakuzawa muttered. "Well, since Lucy is not with you, I assume you had to kill her."

"She resisted." Kenshin replied. Kakuzawa nodded and turned to leave. "But I did not kill her."

Kakuzawa stopped dead in his tracks. He slowly turned around and faced the Diclonius. "And why not?"

"It wasn't Lucy."

Kakuzawa's eyes twitched. "What do you mean it wasn't…" He suddenly realized what he meant. Lucy must have switched personalities again, to either that Nyu person or this new personality, Kaede.

He groaned in irritation. It was his own fault. He should have made his orders as clear as possible. Kenshin was far too simple-minded and took everything far too literally.

"Alright," he groaned, "I want you to go back out again and find Lucy, or whoever it is she has become. I don't care which personality she changes to, just find her and either bring her back or kill her. Understood."