Chapter 8: Meeting Kenshin

"So, what do you think of Lucy?" Nana asked.

It had been a little over a week since the Diclonius had returned. So far, there had been no trouble, but there was an air of uneasiness around them all. Lucy always seemed to be on her guard and would only allow herself to relax around Kohta. And even then, she seemed to be worried about something.

Mayu tapped her chin. "Hmm, well, she's very different from Nyu. She is a little cold-hearted at times, but I don't think she's the monster everyone made her out to be."

Nana had to agree with that. Lucy had changed a lot since the first time they had met. Although she was still unfriendly, she was trying to be more open. It was strange though. Sometimes it seemed as if Lucy was arguing with herself about something, or having a private conversation with someone who wasn't really there. Nana would have dismissed it as simply talking to herself or something, but she would occasionally sense a dark presence creep up in Lucy's mind. It was the same one she felt when Lucy had first returned. It left her with no doubt that Lucy was hiding something.

"I still think you should be careful." Nana told her. "She may have changed, but she still has that killer instinct."

Mayu frowned. "That's not fair, Nana. All Diclonius have that instinct. You do too, so did Nyu. Deciding to act upon it is what makes a difference."

Nana looked down. "That's true," she admitted, "but there's still something about Lucy. You have to admit that she does act… strangely at times."

"It's none of our business. We're all entitled to our own secrets. She's not doing anything bad, so it's ok. I think you should just leave her alo- Wanta, don't go to the bathroom there!"

The puppy looked up innocently as he finished his business. He trotted over to the two of them and barked happily.

"Oh, Wanta, I let you off your leash and look what happens."

Nana chuckled. "Want to walk by the beach? Maybe we'll see some dolphins."

Mayu smiled. "You just want to walk barefoot in the sand."

Nana giggled. "But it feels so nice! And when the waves wash over my feet and then go back, the bubbles tickle!"

Mayu looked at her dog. "What do you think, Wanta? We can play fetch."

The dog barked in reply and rolled over to have his stomach rubbed.

"Oh, Wanta." She picked the dog up, receiving a lick on the nose from it.

"I'll race you!" Nana cried and took off.

"Hey, that's not fair. Come back."

Nana laughed as she got her head start. But as she approached the beach, her run came to a slow jog and then a walk before she stopped. Mayu quickly caught up, giving her friend a strange look.

"I thought you wanted to race to the beach."

Nana waved the comment off. "Hold on, I'm sensing something."

"Oh?" Mayu closed her eyes for a moment. "I don't sense anything."

"That's because it's another Diclonius… I think."

"You think?"

Nana crossed her arms, trying to figure it out. "It's strange. I know it's a Diclonius, but I don't sense anything from them. No emotions, no thoughts, nothing."