Chapter 14: Rescued and Reasoned With

She woke up several hours later. She blinked a few times, looking around her. Blood was everywhere, including all over her. A dead body with its arms ripped out of their sockets and its face torn off lay on the floor. There was no sign of the body of Mr. Arisaka, but a large pile of mutilated flesh and shattered bones that may have at one point been a body was all over the floor.

A look of horror came over the Diclonius' face. "Nyu?" she said.

She looked at her hands. They were caked with blood. Her clothes were stained red from the result of her mutilation of her latest victim.

Tears crept up in her eyes and she began looking around for help. "K-Kohta? Kohta, where you? Nyu scared, Nyu scared!"

Confused and frightened, she ran out of the house. She didn't know where she was, having never been to this part of town before. But she did see something she recognized. Not too far off was the ocean. She knew the ocean, and she knew that as long as she was by it, she could find her way back to Kaede House.

So she ran for the large body of water. Oblivious to the fact that swimming in the ocean at night could be dangerous, she plunged right in. The water turned red around her as the blood washed off her body. Bursting through the surface, she took a breath of air.

"Cold!" she cried.

But she didn't get out, not until all the blood was washed from her body. Only then did she head back to the shore, shivering from the coldness of night.

"Nyu." She whimpered, looking around.

She knew that she would get home if she just stayed along the beach. The question was which way did she go?

She frowned, not sure what to do. Finally she just did what Yuka taught her to do when she couldn't make up her mind. She chose at random. So, closing her eyes, she spun around, and pointed forward, opening her eyes to see which way she had chosen.

"That way!" she announced, and began heading in the direction down the beach she had chosen at random.

She didn't know how long she walked, but she eventually dried off, but was still left in soggy clothes. She still wasn't sure where she was. She never really went out after dark; at least not when she was Nyu. What if she was going in the wrong direction? She would be moving farther and farther away from Kohta.

"Kohta…" she whined sadly. She dropped to her knees, wrapping her arms around herself for warmth. "Kohta, where you? Where you? Nyu lost. Nyu want go home. Find Nyu. Find Nyu, Kohta."

That's when the tears began flowing. She had come to the conclusion that she was lost forever. She would never see Kohta or any of her friends again. She would be all alone from now on.

But through her tears, she eventually detected another presence. She looked up to find someone standing over her. A young man with pink hair and magenta eyes. But it was the top of his head that Nyu focused on. He had two horns growing out of it.

"Nyu?" she asked.

The boy stared at her with a blank emotionless look on his face. "Not Lucy." He stated, and began walking away.

Nyu watched his retreating figure for a few moments before she jumped to her feet and ran after him. "Nyu!" she cried, throwing her arms around him.

Kenshin stopped and looked over his shoulder at her. Nyu looked back up at him with pleading eyes. When she didn't say anything, Kenshin began walking again with Nyu still clinging to his arm.