Chapter 12: Mayu's Revenge

Mayu was concerned. She had been worried ever since Kohta had returned with Lucy's unconscious form. She had known what had happened even before Kohta had explained it.

It was Kenshin, the Diclonius she and Nana had met. Kohta said that he was dead, either crushed or drowned beneath the bridge. Nana didn't seem to think so, and neither did Lucy. They never openly said it, but Mayu could tell by the way they behaved. They were worried.

Mayu sighed sadly. She didn't want anyone to get hurt. There had already been far too much pain and death. When was it going to stop?

Deep down, she knew the answer to that. It wouldn't stop until this Kakuzawa guy was dead. He was the root of all evil here. He was the reason Lucy and Nana suffered. He was the reason they were constantly hunted. And she knew that it wouldn't stop until he was dead.

'But why does it have to be this way?' she thought sadly. 'Why all this suffering? Why all this death?'

She wanted to help. She wanted to make it all stop. But how? How could she help?

Her thoughts turned to Kenshin. He too was on the list of people she wanted to help. Regardless of the little mishaps that had occurred when she, Nana, and Lucy had run into him, she didn't think that he was a bad person. Granted, he wasn't a good person either. He just… was. He was literally on the line that divided good and evil.

But perhaps that could be changed. Kenshin didn't seem to have any good or bad intentions. He just seemed to act for others because he seemed to be incapable of thinking for himself, as strange as that sounded. Maybe he just needed a friend, someone he could talk to and who could help him.

Coming to a decision, she turned to Nana, who was sitting mesmerized in front of the TV. "Hey, Nana, could you watch Wanta for a little while?"

The Diclonius turned to her. "Sure, but why? Where are you going?"

Mayu motioned for Nana's ear and whispered to her. "I'm going to go find Kenshin."

Nana's eyes widened. "YOU'RE GOING TO GO FIND-"

Mayu clamped her hand over Nana's mouth. "Shh, I don't want the others to know. They'll just be worried."

Nana moved Mayu's hand away. "Mayu, you can't! He's really dangerous. You saw what he did to the bridge, what he did to Lucy. And remember how he strangled me."

Mayu nodded. "Yes, I remember. But I think we may have provoked him. I really don't think he wanted to hurt anyone. I think we might be able to be friends."

Nana didn't share her optimism. "No, he'll kill you."

"I don't think he will. I just want to try to talk to him. I think I can get him to stop." Nana opened her mouth to say something, but Mayu cut her off. "Just promise you won't tell anyone. I don't want them to worry, or to interrupt us. Just give me a chance."

Nana made a small fearful noise. "Mayu… I don't know if I can promise that."

Mayu took Nana's hand. "Please, Nana, just give me a chance. Trust me, everything will be fine." She held up her pinky. "Swear it."

Nana looked at Mayu's finger in confusion. Slowly she grabbed Mayu's finger and shook it. The human chuckled and shook her head.

"No, like this." She curled her finger around Nana's, doing a pinky-swear. "It's a promise. If you tell, you have to swallow a thousand needles."