Chapter 3: The Return

The clock chimed again. Kohta couldn't believe that it was actually working. Had sweet innocent Nyu actually been known what she was doing when she was taking it apart and putting it back together in a seemingly random manner, or was it a strange coincidence that she had gotten very lucky and just happened to put it together correctly?

Tears threatened to spill from Kohta's eyes. "Oh, Nyu."

He missed the sweet naïve girl. It was like having his sister back. Well, now that he thought about it, Nyu was like a cross between a clueless sister and an energetic pet. It was hard to believe that inside that childish mind was someone completely different.

He was, of course, referring to Lucy. It had been quite a shock finding out that Nyu had a split personality. No, that's wrong, it was Lucy that had the split personality that Nyu was the result of. He didn't know the full details of what happened, but he understood for the most part.

Apparently, Lucy was the lonely little girl he had grown to love while he was a kid. She was also the one who had killed his father and sister. The shock of witnessing the murder had caused Kohta to block out the memory completely. But he remembered now, oh yes, he remembered everything.

Now it suddenly made sense as to why Lucy had begged him to kill her if she couldn't stop killing. It was because she knew that she was on the pathway to becoming a killer, and she didn't want that. But something had set her off, something that made her kill his father and sister. Then she just disappeared.

How strange they would meet again years later. Well, it hadn't really been Lucy he had met, but Nyu. How Lucy had developed a personality such as Nyu, he had no idea. But Lucy had returned. It was after Dr. Kakuzawa had taken her. He didn't know what had happened between them, but Lucy had regained control and killed Dr. Kakuzawa.

From time to time, Lucy, or Nyu, or who whoever she was, would switch between personalities. But on the last day they were together, Lucy seemed to come back completely. That's when Kohta had learned the truth about the whole situation, and everything came back to him. Everything.

Even now, he still didn't know what to think of the situation. Lucy was the one who had killed his family. She murdered other people as well, some right in front of him. He should hate her. He wanted to hate her. But for some reason, he just couldn't. Why couldn't he hate her?

Maybe it was because of the way she opened her heart to him. He could tell that she truly was sorry for killing his family. And also that she loved him. She loved him enough that she was going to die for him.

From what he could gather, Lucy was some new kind of human species called, what was it, Dilnokus, Diklonus, something like that. And she was the queen of her species. If she wanted to, she could have her race dominate the entire planet it just three years.

But she had given it all up. For him. She had thrown away her destiny, walking readily to her death, just for him. And he couldn't let her. He just couldn't. Even though she had killed his family, he had meant what he said. He did love her. He couldn't bring himself to forgive her for what she did, but he couldn't stop himself from loving her either.

Nor could he stop her from going to her death. And he hadn't seen her since. He had heard the gunfire and knew that she was lost to him. All that he had left of her were confusing memories and conflicting emotions.

The doorbell rang again, bringing him out of his thoughts. He had gone and gotten caught up in the past and had completely forgotten about their visitor. He could still see their shadow behind the door. He wondered who it was.