Chapter 9: Keep On Killing

Start from the beginning

"Not all humans are bad." Yuka pointed out.

Lucy nodded in agreement. "Yes, but many of them were cruel to us. They kill us on a regular basis, so we Diclonius tend not to even give them the chance by killing them first."

"Heartless." Yuka muttered under her breath, but Lucy still heard.

"If you come across a wild animal, one that has been known to kill humans, and you had a gun, would you wait to see if it was one that would hurt you, or would you rather just shoot it and guarantee your safety?"

If Lucy was trying to justify the murders she and her race committed, Yuka wasn't buying it. "You just have an answer to everything, don't you?"

"I have had a lot of time to think." She glanced over her shoulder. "This conversation will have to be put off until later. Nana and Mayu are returning."

Yuka raised an eyebrow. "How do you know?"

"We can sense the presence of our own kind."

"Oh, right." She had forgotten. "Fine, we'll continue this later. Just know that I'm officially declaring war on you."

Such a declaration was unnecessary. The two of them had been at war for years, with Kohta's heart as the prize.

"We're back!" Mayu announced.

Nana tapped her on the shoulder. "We shouldn't wait. Lucy needs to know right away. And I better be the one to tell her." Her thoughts turned to that unstable dark presence in Lucy's mind. "be safer."

Mayu frowned. "Lucy won't hurt me."

'Maybe not Lucy.' Nana thought. However, that other presence.' "It'll just make me feel better. Besides, I can tell her what I sensed from him."

Mayu couldn't argue with that." "Ok, if you insist."

Nana took a deep breath and entered the room. Lucy looked up, sensing her distress. It only made Nana more nervous.

"H-Hey, um, Lucy, can I talk to you for a minute? In private."

Lucy raised an eyebrow but still got up and followed Nana out of the room. Once alone, she swallowed and turned to the older Diclonius.

"You have nothing to fear." Said Lucy before she could speak. "I said I would never hurt anyone anymore and I stand by that."

Nana sweat-dropped. 'It's not exactly your reaction I'm worried about.' She thought, thinking of that dark presence in Lucy's mind. "Yes, well, don't freak out over what I'm about to tell you, but when Mayu and I were taking Wanta for a walk, we ran into another Diclonius."

She stopped here, waiting for a reaction. But Lucy didn't seem to care about this in the least. In fact, she seemed to expect Nana to say something more.

"So? Why is this any of my concern?"

"Because," Nana cried, "they're looking for you. Kakuzawa sent them after you."

That got Lucy's attention. "I see. So he hasn't given up. Figures."

"Lucy," Nana cried, "there's something not right about this guy. He's, I don't know, empty." She held up her arms and walked in place in a mechanical fashion. "He's like a robot. Like he has no will of his own. It's really creepy. And he's strong too."