All's Fair in Love and War

(FICTION WAR AU/SAD)

It has been two years. Two years Nagisa has spent wallowing at the fact his beloved Rei has spent all that time apart from him. However, it has also been two weeks since the war ended. The war between Japan and the Allies. Two weeks since Japan was reduced to famine and utter poverty.

And all that time spent mourning over the scarce, hand-written letters from lover to lover.

First, the letters would start off coming around every two weeks, or one and a few days if Rei was lucky enough to find a sufficient pen and paper. But as time progressed, Nagisa would only find the odd letter in his mailbox every month. The last one he received was three weeks ago; a week before the war ended and a week before Nagisa learnt Rei wouldn't be coming back.

June 6th 2014

To my beloved Nagisa-kun,
We landed in England today, and the weather is bad just like last time we visited. So far, I'm good, although I can't say the same for a fair percentage of the navy and airforce. It seems France joined Britain and America and saw us coming, but fortunately I overheard Germany is joining us so we should be in good hands.

Nevertheless, I really really miss you. But just wait, I will return to my home, to you, when the war ends. We will live the life we long to have. I love you, Nagisa-kun. Make sure you're taking care of that lovely house we have, and most of all take care of yourself.

All my love,
Rei

That was the first letter he had received, and no doubt the longest and the one with most feeling. It was the one he read once a day, multiple times a day, the one that gave him hope. It seemed that with every letter Nagisa received, Rei's own small ounce of hope of returning diminished with it.

Nagisa felt hot tears prickling at his eyelashes and gathering under his eyelids, letting all of his emotions pour out with them. This was not how their life was supposed to be.

Rei wasn't supposed to be a soldier fighting on the front lines. He was supposed to be a scientist. Nagisa wasn't supposed to be spending years crying over his missing boyfriend. He was supposed to be crying tears of joy at their wedding. They weren't supposed to live in a house that was barely recognisable from the bombs. They weren't supposed to live apart.

Rei wasn't supposed to be dead.

At that thought, Nagisa burst into tears, surrounded in the rubble and ruins of what used to be their house. This was the harsh reality all of Japan was unexpectedly thrown in over the course of one night, and Nagisa had a big feeling that he would have immense trouble recovering without the help of his beloved.

This is unlucky, he decided, wiping the tears away with a grim laugh. Not only did my mother and one of my sisters pass away, but I don't even know what happened to Makoto and Haru. Will I ever see them again?

Not one thing amounted to the pain of losing Rei. Not just Rei himself, but their memories, their belongings, their life together. He was now just a memory, at the very best. A very vivid, painful, heartbreaking memory that Nagisa wasn't sure he wanted to remember.

"Please... Someone just kill me..." he whispered, his shaky legs finally giving up as he fell to the floor on his knees. The sharp shards of glass and wood dug painfully into his skin and flesh, but weirdly enough this was the most peaceful he had felt in a long time. He supposes this is what suicidal people feel like before finally giving up and passing away. Just the sound of the wind quietly whistling, the scarce birds chirping, the glass shards glinting, the soft sun blaring, the crunching of wood, the low tap of footsteps-

Wait, crunching of wood? Low tap of footsteps?

Nagisa's head whipped up, the tears diminishing and a smile replacing the frown. "R-Rei-chan?!"

The bespectacled boy sent an affectionate smile accompanied with tired eyes, stopping just before the rubble of his house. "Hello, Nagisa-kun."

The blonde's eyes widened, not even noticing another pair of boots slapping against the surface as he sprung to his feet, stumbling to reach Rei. "Rei-chan!"

But something was wrong. His smile turned from affectionate to sad, his arms lay limp at his side, and his eyes weren't trained on Nagisa, and when the blonde reached for him he wasn't there anymore.

"Rei-" Nagisa choked, crashing to the floor with wide eyes. His hand reached up to cover the bleeding hole in his chest, and his strained eyes lazily moved to the man standing behind him, clad in enemy uniform with a rifle in his hand.

"Th-This isn't fair..." he gurgled quietly, thick red liquid and tears mixing as blood pooled out of his mouth.

"Nothing's fair in love and war." was the last thing Nagisa heard before his eyes drooped to an eternal close.

•••

A/N:

I had the power to make this go very differently. Two updates in a day after a 28 day hiatus!

I know this is sad but I personally think I'm better at sad one shots and this is one of my favourites I've made so far xD I feel like this would make for a good full fanfic story, but I'm not sure wether I should do it with Reigisa, USUK or Solangelo ;-;

Thanks for reading, please leave a comment or vote if you liked it! :3