Confession to a Textbook

Nagisa was never one to study, or do any school work at all, much less pay attention in class. While a normal pupil's class would be filled sketching ideas and scratching pencils against paper, Nagisa's school life consisted of slipping into bliss oblivion instead. Or much recently, writing down his thoughts and feelings where he was supposed to be doing math calculations. His thoughts and feelings aimed towards one single boy in particular.

His bright pink eyes darted towards the floor bashfully at the thought of the boy, who was sitting just a few desks away from him and quickly let his bangs shadow his face that resembled the colour of his own eyes. Nagisa could feel heat creeping up on him as he looked to the confession he had written on one of the pages of his textbook. He didn't even know what class he was in.

All he knew is that he had a love confession in his textbook and the person who captured his heart barely a metre away from him.

After another quarter of an hour of nervous fidgeting in his seat, the bell finally rang signalling the end of class. Nagisa barely had time to close the book which had the special love letter in before someone came walking up to his desk.

"Nagisa-kun, are you ready to leave?" came the familiar voice of Rei. The blonde looked up and met the others gaze as Rei put down his own textbooks.

Nagisa forced a smile, no matter how nervous he felt. "Totally! I hate Calculus."

"Nagisa-kun..." Rei had incredulous yet amused look on his face. "That was History class."

A blush settled upon the pink eyed boy's cheeks. "Right... Well, let's finally go back home!" Nagisa exclaimed, packing both their bags for them.

"Thanks for the favour." Rei said as they left the classroom.

"No problem, Rei-chan!"

After a few minutes filled with aimless chatter and Nagisa's skipping they finally arrived at the station, and just after the train doors closed after Rei walked off to his destination, Nagisa realised one thing as he checked his bag.

"I put my textbook in Rei's bag." he whispered to himself in utter horror.

~

As Rei got home, he decided he would follow his normal routine: study, dinner, shower, sleep. It had been days since he followed it, because one boy seemed intent on spending all their time-free time or not-together.

It wasn't like Rei minded, however. He was getting pretty close to his new swim team and now finally had a best friend, Nagisa.

With the thought of the blonde boy still in his head, Rei headed to his bag to grab one of his textbooks, instead fetching one that was unfamiliar.

He recognised it as Nagisa's writing, but as he flipped through the pages there was barely any work to be found. Rei stopped when he reached one that had a paragraph or two (which was the most in the whole book), he got even more intrigued when he caught sight of his name.

This is bad. You shouldn't be sneaking in your best friend's book. The logical voice at the back of Rei's brain said, but he couldn't resist. He would give anything to know what his favourite person thought about him.

I've never been in love before. Is this the feeling? When your heart beats so fast it could break free from your ribcage, but you never want it to end if it means he talks to you even more?

Rei froze as he saw he. He was a bit cautious at how this letter started out. Maybe seeing his name was just a bliss illusion.

And when he makes me blush every time I think of him, oh my god. Even my sisters think I've got some sort of problem when I look like a tomato at the dinner table. But I can't help it. All my life I haven't had someone this special to me. He makes me feel loved, even if there's a great possibility that he doesn't feel anything for me.

Since when did his speech become this sophisticated? Rei couldn't help but wonder to himself in amusement, despite the sinking feeling in his chest. He didn't quite know why he was disappointed at the loss of his name, but Rei was sure that he reciprocated these feelings towards Nagisa. For the moment, he pushed his thoughts aside to continue his task.

You know... I might even love him. At least that's what those silly tests on those girly websites say, but maybe that just works for girls. But yeah, I do love him.

Before he could read on any further to satisfy his curiosity (and his disappointment, hopefully), his phone buzzed from next to him. And the only person he ever gets texts from was Nagisa.

Nagisa:
Hey Rei-chan! I think I accidently put my notebook in you're bag... I hope u haven't been sneaking!! :P

Rei excused the spelling and grammar mistakes, just this once, for he was too caught up with reading and being suspected by Nagisa.

Rei:
Of course not!

Nagisa:
Hhaha ok! Make sure 2 give it back tomorrow though! :3

Rei:
Certainly.

After he made sure no more texts, he resumed to the piece of paper he was sure would occupy his mind for the next few days.

He makes me feel special. He makes me feel loved.
I love Rei.

He suddenly dropped the textbook, letting it clatter against the floor in a scramble to retrieve his phone which was currently discarded at the end of the desk. Before Rei even knew what he was doing, he found his fingers pressing on the number he found ever so familiar.

"Rei-chan just couldn't help from calling me again..." the bespectacled boy could basically hear the cheeky smirk in Nagisa's voice.

"Did you really mean what you wrote in your notebook?" he blurted, not thinking before he spoke. At the moment, all of his brain was in a havoc and he could barely process his thoughts.

"Oh." Nagisa's voice faltered, making Rei feel all the more guilty. "So you did read it.."

"I am sorry, Nagisa-kun... It's just..." Rei took a gulp, even though it did nothing to help his dry mouth. "I-I love you."

"What?" Nagisa choked out in utter disbelief.

Rei felt all the energy being drained out of him. Was Nagisa joking after all?

"I... I am unsure if you were serious in that note but I am sure that I do love you. But please do not let this disrupt our friendsh-."

"Rei-chan!" the blue haired boy got stopped mid-sentence and the sound of a thick voice. "I love you too! I don't want to be friends!"

Rei felt a rare colossal smile stretch across his face. "I love you too, Nagisa-kun. If you just hold on, I'll come to your house."

"I'll be waiting." before Rei could hang up as he was putting on his coat, he heard one other thing that caused a blush to spread across his cheeks. "...boyfriend!"

~~~

A/N: Hello everyone, I hope you all had a good Christmas (or anything else you've celebrated recently) even if I didn't update in time! I do have a Christmas special in progress, but it's taking some time to make although it will hopefully pay off xD

Thanks for reading!