Necromasis

Day 1

~First-Person Narration: Vapor~

~Back at Vapor and WheelJack’s personal base~

Waiting is unbearable. 6 days, 20 hours and 38 minutes left. I can’t recharge. And WheelJack’s so concerned, he’s been staying up to keep me company. It doesn’t matter how many times I tell him I’m okay, he just won’t listen. I can’t help myself; I wish Blade were here.

WheelJack: “Still watching the entrance, huh?”

    His voice broke me out of my reverie.

Vapor: “Didn’t realize I was, Jack, but I suppose I am. I just can’t keep my eyes from it. I’m hoping so much she’ll just waltz right in, like nothing happened.”

WheelJack: “You need to rest your optics. We’ve had a tough day.”

    I knew it was true, trust me, my body fully realized that fact. But my spark and processor refused.

Vapor: “I can’t, WheelJack. Everytime I close my optics, I see her face. I hear her voice. It’s like I’m living with a ghost!”

    It was so frustrating to live this way; to know the kinds of things that had to be happening and being stuck doing nothing about it. If the days did tick down and I made my way back to my father’s ship, how would I get aboard? Tell him I was kidnapped by StarScream and I escaped and I wanted to return home? Somehow, I doubted he would believe that.

WheelJack: “Then I’ll stay up with you to chase the ghosts away.”

    It was a sweet offer, it really was, but I couldn’t bear burdening him.

Vapor: “You don’t have to.”

WheelJack: “I want to. Tell me a story about yourself.”

    He demanded it, as though it were a perfectly normal thing to ask.

Vapor: “What about?”

WheelJack: “Your mother.”

    That wasn’t something I’d been expecting . . . but I will admit it was a good choice of distraction. It would help my processor settle down; she was a great femme.

Vapor: “Broad subject.”

I admitted, before delving into the story I’d never told before.

Vapor: “My mother was Necromasis. She was borderline a Cybertronian warrior goddess. I like to think she’s where I got my fighting skills, instead of my ‘gladiator father’. Anyway, she could destroy armies with ease, but once the war started, she refused to take part. She wanted nothing to do with war in general, but especially not the one caused by my father. He read this as a betrayal and . . . executed her publicly as a message to the rest of his followers.”

WheelJack: “Why didn’t she fight back?”

Vapor: “He . . . threatened her.”

    WheelJack raised an optic ridge, urging me to continue my story.

Vapor: “He held me captive. My own father imprisoned and isolated me for three days. When . . . when SoundWave came to get me, he played a message from my father. I’ll never forget it.”

~Narrated Flashback~

    My ‘dear father’s’ voice played back over SoundWave’s vocal screen. I didn’t want to hear it, after the deplorable conditions I’d been living in lately. At one point, I’d been injected with some burning chemical in my sleep. It was one thing to lock me up, but to use me as a guinea pig? I didn’t want to hear his voice, until he mentioned my mother.

Megatron: “You’re going to see your mother now, Vapor. Cooperate, or you’ll both die.”

Beautiful message I know, but I was so excited to see her, I thought . . . I just thought they’d worked things out. But then my hands were restrained behind my back. I was led to the platform outside, forced to my knees. I knew . . . it just hit me when my mother came out in restraints. I-I screamed. I screamed at her at the top of my lungs.

Vapor: “Mom! Mom, I love you! You can’t do this! Fight back! You could destroy all of them, don’t do this to yourself! Don’t do this to me! Please, Mom, don’t leave me! Don’t leave me . . .”

Then, he appeared. My ‘loving father’. Those drones all cheered for him. I screamed back. He drew his sword. The only time I met my mother’s eyes during that entire time was the second before he drove it through her spark. Her eyes had this gray, cloudy appearance to them, but once the sword entered her chest, they were clear again. And then, she finally responded to me.

Necromasis: “Be strong, Vay.”

And I know what I said, that no one calls me Vay, but it’s not exactly like she still calls me that. She fell to the ground once my dear ‘father’ pulled his sword out. I watched her spark fade from her optics. I spent days in my room after that. I refused to leave. SoundWave came to see me after a while, even though I wasn’t very friendly.

Vapor: “Go away, Wave.”

    I was hostile, and yet, he stayed. Only to play another message on his vocal screen.

    Only this time, it was my mother’s voice that resonated.

SoundWave: “Vay, don’t lose your fight. Megatron may be cruel, but he is not invincible. Leave if you can, but do not attempt to leave if you’re not sure you’ll be safe. I love you Darling. Keep fighting, and never lose your heart. Remember who you are, Vay. Be strong. I’ll miss you.”

    I sat up and looked at him; he always was so good to me. He was the one to have compassion, of all of Megatron’s followers.

Vapor: “Thank you, Wave.”

I left my berth and hugged him, grateful for the final words my mother had wished for me.

Vapor: “You’ll delete before Father hears, right?”

    He nodded in assent and deleted the message, the file erased from his hard drive forever. I didn’t want it to go; I wanted to listen to it a thousand times, but I couldn’t. If Megatron knew what she’d said . . . his wrath would be endless. I thanked him for saving the message for me.

Vapor: “Thanks you.”

    He just nodded and left in silence, as he always did. That one piece left of my mother . . . now rested solely in my hard drive. And I would go over it time and again, every time I felt weak and alone . . . those words are all I have left.

~Flashback End~

Vapor: “I cried for some time after that. Both from what my mother left me, and because I would never hear her voice again.”

WheelJack: “Vay, I-.”

Vapor: “I’m fine, WheelJack.”

    I assured him. Not wanting to cry again from the sheer memory.

WheelJack: “I never doubted that. I was just wondering if you’d be willing to try and rest now. I’ll stay next to you for the remainder of the night.”

    He promised it so gently. I nodded and scooted closer to his metal form. He wrapped his arms around my body protectively. I closed my optics, tears burning at the edges.

Vapor: “Thank you, WheelJack.”

    I whispered softly.

WheelJack: “I’ll always be here, Vay.”

    He kissed my forehelm, and we drifted into recharge.