Ghosts of the Past

~General Narration~

All WheelJack heard as he ran towards where Vapor had disappeared—concealed by the bodies of Insecticons and Scraplets—was the sound of her laughing in genuine happiness.

The Wrecker slowed, perplexed by the development, when all he’d been expecting to hear was the sound of her screams.

WheelJack: “Huh?”

He came to a stop and examined the situation a bit more carefully, a bit more closely. The other Autobots were equally confused and tried to make sense of it.

Arcee: “They’re not attacking?”

Optimus: “It would appear so.”

            Even the Autobot leader had not been expecting this oddity, and he had seen plenty of odd developments through time.

            Vapor, however, was simply exclaiming with joy in spite of herself, not caring that her allies were watching and listening.

Vapor: “Oh, I knew it was you, I just knew it! How could it not be my little darlings?”

            WheelJack took a few steps closer, still unsure of what was happening but feeling that the element of danger had substantially decreased.

WheelJack: “Uh, Vapor?”

            As if on cue, an Insecticon turned towards the Wrecker and hissed viciously.

WheelJack: “Whoa!”

The Wrecker jumped back from the shock, putting up his servos in spite of himself and the usual attitude he carried.

WheelJack: “Easy, there, big fella.”

            Vapor quickly slapped the Insecticon on the back of his helm, not giving any room for defiance.

Vapor: “Don’t you start that. These are friends. They may be programmed as your enemies but they’re not.”

The Insecticon gave a slight noise of submission, and satisfied with the result, Vapor turned back to WheelJack and the other Autobots.

Vapor: “Sorry about that. They get a little riled up sometimes, but they can be the sweetest things in the world.”

Bulkhead: “Sweet? They were trying to eat us!”

            Heh, yeah, that was a bit of an issue sometimes, but Vapor genuinely cared for these ‘beasts’ as some might call them.

            Vapor looked down at the Scraplets disapprovingly, her tone scolding.

Vapor: “Guys . . .”

            To everyone’s surprise, the Scraplets looked at the ground like naughty children caught in the act.

Vapor: “No more of that, got it?”

The Scraplets simply nodded. WheelJack was stunned.

WheelJack: “So, uh, Vapor, how do you know these . . . beings?”

            She suspected that question might come up, but she wasn’t really ashamed of it, so she gave the full explanation.

Vapor: “Well, back on Cybertron my father was trying to, well, make more warriors to serve him. So he had those of us he didn’t need in the battlefield working in the labs, making these little guys. Once they were complete and their sparks were brought to life, we cared for them until they were ready to be used as weapons, so yeah . . . these ones formed a bond with me, and they could track me anywhere, which is probably why they came after you guys.”