Part 2

That was my life. Instructor during the day, surfer by night, and then I wake up and do it all again the next day. I was woken up yet again by Calum strumming his guitar, him and Ashton singing "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. I walked down the short hallway into the kitchen as I usually do, and the two boys greeted me. Ashton was laughing along as Calum tried to scat, flipping a pancake on the stove. The three of us were all shirtless, but Calum and Ash already had their board shorts on. "Are you headed to the beach?" I asked grabbing a pancake from the stack.

"Yeah, the waves are great right now," Calum said with his mouth stuffed with pancake.

"We were just about to come wake you up," Ashton added on. "Don't know whether or not we should wake Michael, though."

Unlike the rest of us, Michael is not a morning person. I can't remember the last time he woke up on his own. As much as he loves surfing, I think he loves his sleep more. "I'll just wake him up to tell him where we're going," I said walking towards the hallway containing Michael and Ashton's bedrooms. "If he doesn't want to come surfing, he can just go back to sleep."

The guys nodded before standing up and going out to the porch to grab their boards from the shed. I walked into Michael's room, which had clothes strewn across the floor and covering his bed. His drawers were all opened, unable to be closed due to the overflow of random board shorts and t-shirts. I walked around towards the side of the bed that he's on, kicking some clothes aside as I walked. "Mike, Michael, dude," I said nudging him. After about a minute I got a groan in response. "The waves are really good this morning, and we are all going surfing if you want to come."

He mumbled something about coming later, and I gave him a pat on the back before exiting his room and walking into mine. I threw on a pair of maroon board shorts before walking into my bathroom and washing my face. I brushed a hand through my blond, quiffed hair before grabbing a towel and heading out the front door. I stopped myself on my porch, taking in the sight before me.

I hadn't realized just how early Cal and Ash had woken me up. The sun was just starting to peek over the ocean, only a sliver of gold lighting up our little beach. The sky was pink just over the ocean, getting less and less saturated until it returned to its normal blue over my head. The ocean was a deep purple, with white streaks highlighting the breaking waves. At the shoreline, Ashton and Calum sat with their boards on their laps, Ashton pointing towards the waves, his body leaning slightly inward towards Calum. Calum was leaning towards Ashton, his head following his arm probably trying to see whatever Ashton was describing.

I hopped over the banister, my feet sinking into the sand immediately, and I jogged to the shed to grab my board. I walked down the beach before sitting beside my two mates and applying wax to my own board. The three of us were in the water a few minutes later, battling it out to see who could get the best ride.

By the time the sun was half risen over the water, Michael came out onto the porch, a cup of what I presumed to be tea in his hands. We all waved at him, and he held up his cup in response, as if to say good morning. We were about 1 km out, so we couldn't exactly have a conversation with him as he sat on the front steps of the bungalow. Thankfully we wouldn't have to try because he came out into the water about ten minutes later.

There was a small reef that generated some good waves on our beach, and today was no different. It was split down the middle by about a 75 meter gap, which was where we stuck to surfing. Ashton had just caught a wave, but his leash had gotten twisted around his leg. He paddled over to one of the reefs and stood up. The water was now about knee height where he stood as he fixed his leash. He walked to the edge of the reef before paddling back out to where the rest of us sat waiting for a wave.