“They’re announcing the vice president.” Ava said chewing on a piece of a chocolate bar. Nona scoffed and took a bite of the chocolate bar.

            “You know this is a dictatorship, right?” Nona asked with a mouthful of chocolate. Ava dug her hand into the bag of chocolate Nona was carrying.

            “I know that, but our city doesn’t.” The store owner, Norman, tiptoed his way up to the counter to watch the television.

            “I hate this damn city.” He mumbled as she stood behind them with his arms folded. “President my ass. Try a tyrant.” Nona chuckled at his tone, letting her smile disappear as quickly as it had arrived.

            “Come on, Ava.” Nona turned to walk away and when she turned back around, Ava was still glued to the television.

            “Everyone! The president has come out with her new vice president alongside. I can’t believe it! Ladies and gentleman, our first vice president in seventy years! It is Florence Mallowne, world renowned scientist!” Nona stood there for a while in a frozen form. Ava looked over to her with worry on her face. Nona approached the television staring at the black woman that had came out wearing heavy armor and surrounded by many guards.

            “Nona…” Ava walked up to her. Nona grabbed her arm, again.

            “Come on!” She ordered. The door swung closed behind them as they ran out of the store.  Nona was dragging her sister behind her while running through the crowd of people. When they reached an empty alley, Ava pulled away from her sister and slid down the wall until her butt hit the ground. Nona stood on the opposite side of the alley with her face to the wall. She let her bags fall from her grasp onto the concrete ground.  Nona wanted to cry but her eyes stayed dry. She just let the bricks in the building massage her forehead. Ava began to sob into her knees.

            “Why is she doing this?” Nona quickly came to her sister’s side. Nona wrapped her arms around her and Ava buried her face into Nona’s shoulder. “Why would mom do this?”

            “I don’t know, Ava.”  Nona sat on the concrete ground holding her sister in her arms until she couldn’t create a single tear. “I promise I’m going to stop this. If I have to bring mom down, I will.” Nona whispered into her sister’s ear. Ava wiped her face clean.

            “I want to be like you. You’ll do what you have for the bigger cause. I just…” Ava went silent and put her head down. Nona tilted her head back up to her. “I just don’t want to be the one to have to kill mom. I know I don’t know her, but I just can’t.” Ava’s hazel eyes were moist and glassy. Nona kissed her sister on the forehead.

            “That’s what I’m here for. I won’t ask you to do something like that. If this turns out right, maybe mom will come around.”

“Why accept a position like this? She’s the reason I have to take that shot every four hours. She obviously feels no remorse because if she did, she wouldn’t be standing next to the enemy. How can she smile like that after what she did? After dad…and me…and---” Nona put her hands to Ava’s lips and wiped her tears.

“Don’t worry about it. Come on, I’ll get you something.” They grabbed their bags and shuffled into the main street.  

Ava pulled Nona over to a vendor selling rats of all shapes and sizes.

            “I said something. I didn’t mean a pet.”

            “Hey, little lady. I have pet rats starting at thirty bills.” There were white rats, black rats, blue rats, and even pinks rats. Ava scanned them all with an unsatisfying glare in her eyes. The vendor took a treat out of his pocket and fed it to a rat that stood on his shoulder watching the crowd go by.