CHAPTER 45

I stared at her extended hand, unable to think if she's bluffing me or what. But when I took a glance on her face, I immediately accepted her hand and gave a shake.

"Friends.." I repeated.

I pulled my hand away abruptly when I heard our friends cheering while they are watching us. Mikki shook her head. I averted my gaze. My heartbeat's pounding fast, more abnormal than ever. Silence then accompanied us and it's definitely awkward! I thought if once she became my friend, everything will go smoothly, no awkwardness at all, but now that I already accomplished it, it's way too far from what I've expected to be.

"Ahm.. Thanks pala sa sandwich" I said as I looked at her, breaking the defeaning silence between us. The sandwich, on the other hand is still inside my bag.

She leaned forward, propped her elbows over the round table, resting her chin on her palms while scowling. She stared at me as if something's wrong in my face. I averted my gaze and heaved a heavy sigh before pulling back my gaze back to her.

"This is awkward. Friends should not feel awkward towards each other" I said.

There's a wild thumping inside my chest but I hid it through the coldness in my voice. I think, I'm good at it.

She arched her eyebrows, not moving her position. "Are you awkward?" she then asked blankly. As if she doesn't feel any pressure as I have felt.

"Well.. Y-yeah" I bravely admitted.

If I want to make our friendship work, I should be honest. Friends don't hide their feelings towards each other.

I was shocked when she stood up and walk away.

What the heck?!

Lea immediately approached me, curiousity was evident registered on her face.

"What happened? Bakit umalis si Mikki?"

I shook my head as a response. I don't have any idea what the heck happened to her? Saying awkward isn't offendable, was it?

I heard Lea sighed and occupied the seat where Mikki was seated awhile ago.

"Did I jump overboard?" she asked while leaning on the table. "I told Miks to offer you a friendship as a payment for rescuing her. I'm sorry" She frowned and looked disappointed.

My forehead creased, trying to sink in the words she just had said then released a heavy breath before I leaned my back against the chair.

So, she was just forced afterall?

My deep thoughts vanished when a can of beer banged loudly in front of me. I frowned after I looked up and saw Mikki standing on my side holding a can of beer on her left hand while the other hand is placing the can on the table in front of me.

"Drink" she said but more like a comand whilst staring at me.

I looked at her, questioning. She averted her gaze and talk to Lea.

"Gusto mo din?" tanong niya kay Lea.

Lea shook her head, "No, nagpahinga lang ako saglit. I thought you're not coming back so I tried to accompany him"

"Who says?" Mikki raised her eyebrows in disbelief.

"Wala. Sige maiwan ko na kayo" Lea wiggled her eyebrows on me before turning her back while laughing.

Mikki occupied the vacant chair. She opened the can and brought it on her lips. I've watched her every movement. She sits the can on the table and stared at me again. With those emotionless eyes gazing at me, discomfort caressed me, it's as if she's looking through my soul with her blank expression, unable for someone like me to read what's on her pretty mind. Ang puso ko! I cough hoping that her attention will be diverted somewhere else but unluckily, she didn't even flinch! Grabbed the can of beer, I drunk a gulp as I can feel my sweat dripping on my forehead.