P R O L O G U E

April 6

Ren's POV

It's my 13th birthday!! I'm finally a teenager!! Dad is busy with work so he's not here like all my other birthdays, but that doesn't matter because me and mom are doing to Japan!! I've been to Japan multiple times but this time I'm allow to wonder around Tokyo with just my mom and look at all the awesome stores, eat food, and do all that good stuff!! I usually get what I want every trip but I don't get to wonder around because my dad is afraid someone is going to try and kidnap me. Of course I think my dad is just going crazy from all the work he has to do. Anyway I get to have a whole day in Japan with my mom and do whatever we want and to top it off we will stay at a fancy hotel for the night!! Of course there is a catch from my dad. Me and mom have to wear a disguise and we have to stay at the hotel that my father chooses. Right now me and mom are on the streets of Tokyo wondering around acting like normal tourists. I'm wearing a large, red shirt tucked into cargo shorts and dirty Converses. My hair is in a bun and is covered by a beanie. In all I look like a guy due to my boyish face and no-curve body. Mom is wearing a simple T-shirt, jeans, and flats. Her face is covered with a lot makeup and her hair is down. Honestly she looks way different from her normal look. As we walk around I feel like someone is following us and I turn around seeing no one suspicious in the crowd behind us.

Time Skip

We are at the hotel and I'm on my way to the bath. Mom already went ahead of me because I had to get mom's hair things so she can put her hair up in a rose bun. As I walk I think about the things we did today. We went shopping first and bought a lot of cool stuff along with a souvenir for dad, went to like 10 cafés, and went to this awesome arcade. Surprisly mom is very good at ga-

"Aahhhhhhh"

That sounds like mom?! Is there a perv in the bath?! I start to run and when I turn the corner I bump into this guy. I try to say sorry about he just keeps on running. Suddenly I feel something wet on my hands and look down to see blood. My eyes widen realizing what just happened and I didn't want to believe it. I run to the bath rooms, past the stripping area, into the actual bath and...

A week later

It's mom's funeral. Dad is here. He cancelled everything for the day to attend. Everyone in the family along with friends are here. The music plays and of course everyone is crying. Me and dad walk up the stairs to the platform that holds mom's well-decorated coffin. I look at her and she's wearing her favorite kimono along with her favorite style of makeup and her hair is in a rose bun, her favorite hairstyle. She's back to her normal look but of course she looks drain. The cream color of her skin is gone and now she's white as snow. She's laying in red roses looking peaceful. I feel tears pour down my face as I look at her. It's painful, seeing her peaceful when I know her death wasn't peaceful. My dad hugs me tight whispering it's okay. I wrap my arms around his he neck as he lifts me off the ground. After a few seconds he asks if I want to say a testimony and I say yes. He puts me down so I can walk to the podium. I tap the mic a few times to make sure its on and spoke.

"Hello everyone. As you know we are here in honor of my mom and before you leave I want to say a testimony. Umm.. I don't know what to say besides I love her and of course I am very upset that this happened. Mom was a very beautiful, kind, strong woman, I'm sure all of you understand that, and seeing her gone... is kinda hard to accept...," I start to cry harder, "sorry... Hold on." I turn around to wipe my tears and I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Can you continue? You don't have to if you don't want to."

It was dad. I shake my head no and turn around.

"Mom has been with me through every hard time. Everytime dad was busy she would come up with things to do and it was fun. Everytime dad missed an important day like my birthday she would comfort me and hold me tight. She taught me so many things as well like musical instruments and never forced me to do things. She was very understanding and would always listen to my problems. We would talk for hours on my bed about random things and honestly that's what I'm going to miss the most. That warm feeling that someone understands you. I'm going to miss her very much, but I'm sure right now she would want me, wants us, to be smiling and continuing life. Thank you for coming." I do a quick bow and leave the podium. Everyone claps but it falls back to silence.

A few days past

Dad's POV

Ren has been in her room since the funeral. The reasons why she would come out is for food. (She has a bathroom connected to her room) I know she's very upset but she can't lock herself in there forever. I hope she sorts out her feelings and makes a good decision on what to do about her life.