61

( ANOTHER WINCHESTER? )

HALLWAY
[ ☼ ]

Dean and Sam stop walking. "You talk to the cops?" Dean asks.

"Yeah. Like Adam said, no leads on his mom." Sam says.

"Shocker there."

"But I did find this." Sam goes through papers till he finds a copy of the Windom Gazette dated January 9, 1990. The headline is "Missing Bodies Found" and the subtitle "Seventeen bodies recovered from abandoned shed". "Um...here. In nineteen ninety, there were seventeen grave robberies in Windom."

"You think that's why Dad came through here?" Dean asks.

"I'd say so. Check it out." Sam points at the photo accompanying the article. Dean takes a closer look. John is in the background of the photo.

Dean nods. "All right, so he was hunting something. What?" He asks.

"No idea. Those were the pages he threw out of the journal. But last month, the corpse snatching started up again. Three bodies from the local cemetery." Sam says.

"So whatever he was after, he didn't kill it. It's back."

"And, what, it's stepped up its game to fresh meat? I mean, Kate's missing, and, uh-" Sam goes to the next paper. This one's a copy of a photo of a Man in large black glasses, Joe Barton. "So is a local bartender-a guy named Joe Barton." Dean takes the photo.

KATE'S BEDROOM
[ ☼ ]

Adam is sitting on her bed. Dean comes to the door and holds up the photo. "Hey, does your mom know Joe Barton?" Dean asks.

"Uh, I don't think so. Why?" Adam asks as Dean looks back at Sam, then at Adam. A long pause. Dean notices something by his feet: scratches on the floor. Dean comes over for a closer look. "What is it?"

"Watch out." Dean flips up the edge of the comforter and looks under the bed, then gets up. "Give me a hand with the mattress." Dean tosses the pillows aside and with Adam's help, moves the mattress off the bedframe.

Under the bed is a vent large enough to fit someone through. Sam looks at it. Dean looks at Sam. They raise their fists for rock-paper-scissors. Sam picks rock, Dean scissors. Sam smirks and Dean waves his arms, frustrated, then puts his hands on his hips. "Every time." Dean says.

AIR DUCT
[ ☼ ]

A thump, the sound of the vent cover coming off, and light from a flashlight fills the duct. There are red stains along the duct. Dean shines the light around, then slides inside. There is a T-junction at the end of the duct he's in. "Why didn't I pick paper?" Dean crawls to the T-junction. More red stains: blood.

Dean crawls a bit further; to one side is another vent cover, undisturbed. Dean has a pistol in his other hand, which he points around the corner before he leans around himself. There is a large amount of blood and bits of flesh or bone in the duct.