Chapter 1

Maddy

I was trying to comprehend what had just gone on.

One minute I was happy with Grant and the next he was being dragged away by police. As was I and I was trying not to panic. I was so scared . Who would I be to call?

As they pulled me into this , what looked like an interrogation room , I passed by Grant. He noticed me and mouth the words , Im sorry . I love you.

I wanted to go in the room and touch his cheek . I mouthed , I love you too, but a cop inside shut the blinds. They continued to drag me away and I was seated in a plastic chair . I felt the coldness , the hostility in the air.

A tall red-headed lady soon walked in , and she wore a smile. I didn't understand how she could be smiling , I was the least bit happy. Her sleek straight hair reached the back of my chair as she sat down in front of  me.

"Hello , Madelyn. I'm Jennifer Norman , i'll ask you a couple of questions now . If that's okay."

Who was she kidding , I knew even if I said no , I would still be answering her questions.

" How old are you Madelyn ?" she asked looking at some files and taking notes.

" 18." I responded keeping calm. I always thought if they sensed fear , i'd be done for.

"How old were you when you met Grant ?"

I pondered on the fact of if I should lie or not.

"17." I decided.

" Where did you meet Grant ?" she asked eyeing me. By the way she was looking at me , I could tell this would be a question that could answer a lot.

" I went on a shopping trip during the summer with my sister . And I met him in a Footlocker's at the mall. I kind of flirted with him. We hit it off and we started dating. " I said with a tiny smile remembering the moment.

"Did you have any clue how old he was?"

" No. I just had an instant connection. "

"When did you figure out he was your teacher?"

" After a week i'd been dating him , I went to class and saw him there at the door. I was shocked. I knew there was a problem but I had already fallen in love."

"How long have you been dating ?''

"About two months ."

" Has he ever forced you to do something you don't like?"

" No , he would never." I cringed at that question. The accusation made against him had been false . I was never molested by him , he would never do that. In my mind all I could think was , everything we did do was all by my choice.

" So he's never threatened you or hurt you?"

" Unless you're talking about threatening me with a good time then no. I know him , I know his past and he would never do that to me."

She took one last note , and then got up.

" I'll be right back."

At this moment , all I could think of was Grant . How I missed him. How I could kiss him and nurture him. How I didn't want this happening to him because i've seen this all on tv.

Men who did this kinda stuff would have it bad. They'd eventually get killed ... I hissed , I couldn't think that way. What would I do if he died? I would be a single mother , and Grant wouldn't live to see his child.

The lady came back in and told me I was free to go. I asked about Grant and they told me they were keeping him here. I got steamed up and I couldn't hold back my tears .

"Can I see him before I go?" I asked.

She looked at me and then nodded her head. I followed her to the room I saw him in. She opened the door and let me in.

I walked in and sat across from him. She left in a few minutes and I was thankful for that. I watched him as he watched me. They had him tied to a chair as if he were some criminal ready to kill. Then I noticed his hands were free and I grabbed them. He held onto my hands with a strong caring grip.

We just stared into each other's eyes not saying anything. I liked this . I could sense the fear trapped inside him and I don't know what he feared.

"What are you scared of ?" he asked me.

"How did you know?" I asked astonished he was reading me like an open book.

"I can feel you're uncomfortable.."

"I'm scared ... of losing you because I love you. I love you so much. I can't imagine life without you." I said with swelled up eyes.

" I'm scared of the same thing. I will tell you this everyday , Maddy , I love you. You are my sunshine. Everyday I wake up , i'm glad to have you in my life. YOU know my history and you've changed it also. "

" What would I do without you?"

" Breathe."

I started to hyperventilate and I felt like I was losing control of my breath . I saw the lady come in from the side . I also saw a bunch of others come in. I heard Grant yelling "Let me go , she needs help."

Then in a few minutes I felt an inhaler in my mouth and massages on the small of my back.

I looked up to see Grant's face smiling down at me . I looked back and immediately felt calm again.

"Grant . It's time to take you to where you're staying. " a tall , very built officer said.

They started to pull him away and I went in for a kiss. It lasted 10 seconds before he was being dragged out.

"Remember what I said." he said with pleading eyes that said , I love you.

"What's gonna happen with him? " I asked the lady named Jennifer.

"He'll be kept here for two days and then He'll have trial. We'll call you. I see that it's least likely , he'll be put in jail ,on a good case that you're 18. So it's genuine. "

I sighed and decided to walk home. I thanked her and then left the police station. I had a long walk home and a lot of decisions to make. Oh my goodness , I'd been so focused on Grant. I was out of the picture. My child was out of the picture.

I hadn't even had the chance to tell him and with all this chaos going on when could I? I haven't spoken with my family in days.

I was utterly completely alone.

And this was only the beginning.