"You had stitches?" she asked.

I nodded.

"How many?"

I shrugged.

"An episiotomy?" she asked Arthur.

He nodded.

She drew her breath through her teeth in sympathy.

"I couldn't push properly. My side was in agony."

"You did enough and they did the rest. Just thank god you were here when it happened," she replied setting out some of my things. "Your parents are looking out for you," she said making me cry again.

"No one has been back to tell me anything," I sobbed.

"WHAT!" she was automatically furious. Good, go get them Mary, I thought as she stormed out the room with Arthur rolling his eyes.

"Right I've spoke to the nurse. You can have a bath or shower. We will get you changed into this so you are more comfortable. Then we will wheel you down to the baby unit."

"I can go?" I was shocked.

"Yes but you must sit in the chair. I want you freshened up first whilst they finish what they are doing up there. It will do you the world of good and seeing you looking human will ease Edward mind too."

She was right.

"Who does the baby look like?" she asked.

"Edward," I replied trying to remember his face.

"How much do you think he weighs?" she asked Arthur as she went over to pulled some things out of the bag.

"I don't know, a couple of pound," he said having seen him wheeled out when he came to relieve Edward.

"I can't wait to see him!" she squealed with excitement as she rushed off to turn the taps on for a bath.

I wished I could share in that excitement but I was terrified, anxious and desperate to know what was happening. By the time my bath was done I was getting annoyed with Edward for not coming back. I knew it was irrational as I had told him not to leave the baby but surely someone could have popped out to tell me.

As Mary towel dried my hair and plaited it for me, someone finally came in.

"Apologies for the delay, we were due to come to you sometime ago but there was an emergency," the nurse said making me feel guilty and selfish when a life was at risk. Especially if it was a baby!

"How is the baby?" Mary asked.

"If you are ready we can take you down and explain whilst you are there," the nurse offered.

I thought getting in and out of the bath was painful. Sitting was near impossible but I did it. I would do anything to get to the baby unit and find out what is going on. I insisted that Mary and Arthur be allowed to come along much to the nurses disapproval.

As I was wheeled down the corridor I fought the fear of hospitals which I still battled with but managed to control it more now. Stan accompanied us and spoke to the nurse in French, I don't know what was said but she soon changed her tone towards us.

We were lectured on the rules for entering the unit and that other babies were in the same place. I felt like she was expecting us to insist they all be cleared out. Silly cow!

I could see Gerard ahead stood outside some doors as we washed our hands. He looked concerned when he saw me, which made my heart stop and the panic rise. I was craning my neck forward to see past him and catch a glimpse of Edward. I would be able to tell then if it was bad news, his face would give it away.