• 3 •

Was it a good thing to be a good boy?

I can't ask Mommy, whatever the two boys meant, I knew it was something dirty or bad.

"Hi Muffin. How was school?" Mum greeted, wiping off the counter with a dish rag.

"Same as always. We got a new student today. He's kinda scary. I feel like a little Chihuahua next to..next to.."

"German Shepard?"

"No."

"Great Dane?"

"Is that the one that looks like a giraffe?" I questioned.

She laughed, "yes."

"Then yes!" I smiled.

"Well, my little Chihuahua don't get stepped on by the Great Dane."

"Mum!" I exclaimed.

She laughed. A loud cry sounded upstairs, and Mum whinced.

"I got her." I said, hopping of the barstool.

"Thank you Mikey."

I raced upstairs, my sock clad feet pounded on the stairs. My little sister, Melanie, whined and looked up at me from in her crib.

"Hey Melly." I cooed, picking up the little two year old.

She cooed and giggled, tugging on my blonde hair.

"Hey!" I laughed.

"My-key!" She squealed, wriggling out of my grip.

"Where do you think you're going? Huh, imma get cha!"

|Luke|

"Don't you think we could've moved a few years ago? When Ben and Jack could help us move all this junk?" I grumbled, lifting the couch end up.

"Maybe, you could've been good. Not have gotten kicked out?" Dad huffed and slammed the couch into the doorway.

"If you chip the paint!" Mom yelled.

"It's ugly anyways!" I screamed, backing up and turning into the living room.

"Right. No, right!" Dad ordered.

"If I go anymore right I'll slam into the wall." I grunted.

"Its going against the wall."

"What?"

"Luke! Come meet the neighbors!" Mom called from the yard.

"Dear God. Go, son." Dad sighed.

I dropped the couch in the corner, rolling over the arm rest and flopping on the cushions. Andrew pushed it the last foot so it hit the wall.

"Use your jacket as a shirt and go see your mother." He said.

I groaned and got up. Pulling the red flannel off , which I wrapped around my waist, I slipped my arms through the sleeves and headed for the open front door.

"Imma end up dropping a coffee table on my foot if you keep yelling for me." I complained, nearly tackling a potted tree that was in the middle of the porch. "If we moved from Texas that could've been a cactus!"

"Lucas, please." Liz sighed.

I continued to button up the plaid shirt before looking up at the family.

"Luke, these are the Cliffords."