"She's probably getting fucked too. I dunno."

He grabbed my phone, asking who I should call.

"Lafayette's Work."

He scrolled through my contacts until he found him. "Holy shit, the Lafayette Jeff?" the guy asked into the phone. "Sorry, um, I'm with your...friend, Emerson, and he needs to be picked up...I'm a friend of his...yes...okay...okay great...thank you." He ended the call and turned to me. "He said he's on his way. So what the hell? You're friends with him? Fuck buddies?"

"I'm his assistant," I said, my eyes closed, leaning against the wall. "I would let him fuck me for hours but I dunno, guess it's unethical in reality."

"That's really cool, and...yeah, he's hot."

"Mhm," I groaned, resting my head on the table.. "I've never done it with a black guy before."

He laughed. "That's a microaggression but I'm used to it."

My phone chimed a few minutes later. Lafayette had a phone in his car and sent me a message saying he was there to pick me up. "What's your name?" I asked.

"Owen," he said.

"Nice fucking with you," I said. "But I have to go be a hopeless romantic elsewhere."

"Okay Em, goodnight."

I stumbled out of the club after retrieving my coat from the front and went to Lafayette's incognito car, meaning it was all black and impossible to look into. I got into the front seat. He was in his pants, shirtless, but with a coat on, his hair messy, a hickey on his neck. 

He was fucking someone else when I was getting fucked. He didn't want to fuck me, but I wondered if he thought about me. We looked at each other for a few seconds without saying anything, not entirely sure what we were looking for in each other. 

"Are you okay?" he asked and I nodded. He said I was drunk.

"I am not drunk," I slurred.

"Of course not," he told me.

"You believed me dumbass. I am so hammered. I haven't been this hammered in forever."

"You're only twenty-one. I'd be surprised if you drank before."

I glared at him with my glassy eyes. "I'm twenty-two, Faye. You should know that. I turn twenty-three in May."

He didn't say anything, but I knew damn well he knew my age. What an ass. "I don't want to turn twenty-three," I said. "It's so far from now anyway. Bad things could happen within the next few months and it scares me." I stared at the hazy, shining lights of the city as we drove on. "What if my mom or my dad isn't there to see me get older?"