8. Thank You (1)

Mom, Dad, Kate, Warren and I all stood in front of Joyce's door, ringing the door bell. We did everything we needed to do before coming here. All we needed to do now was convince Joyce and David to get away for the holidays.

We heard foot steps coming toward the door. Joyce ended up opening it. There was a look of happiness and surprise on her face when she saw us, but it still showed great exhaustion.

"Oh my gosh..." She gasped in awe. She hugged all of us and welcomed us in. "Ryan, Vanessa, it...it's been so long."

"Five whole years. I'm sorry we fell out of touch." Mom said, apologizing sincerely.

"Oh, please, don't even give it a second thought." Everyone made themselves comfortable in the living room for the time being. 

"We were actually on our way to Seattle, but we couldn't exactly leave without coming back here now, could we?" Dad explained.

"And thank you for the visit. You both look so good. I guess Seattle has treated you two well?" She asked with curiosity.

"It's definitely different from the Bay, that's for sure." Dad said.

"Oh yes, it is. It's a city after all. Louder, busier, brighter, but the experience has been so fun for us. And it's so beautiful during the winter." Mom explained. "But how are you feeling, Joyce?"

"Well, I'm here. As you know, it hasn't exactly been easy." Joyce eased on with a strained voice. Mom and Dad didn't answer to her statement but they did nod with understanding.

"Where's your husband?" Dad asked her curiously.

"He actually left about ten minutes before you came here. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to meet him." Joyce said, a bit disappointed realizing that they had never met him.

"It's no problem, really." Mom lifted her hand, easing Joyce's mind. "We'll meet him eventually."

Joyce got up. "Anyway, are you guys hungry? Thirsty? If you all are willing to stay for a while, how about breakfast?" It's true that neither me, Kate nor Warren have eaten yet.

"Ryan and I are fine. We ate before we came here." Mom told her.

"How about you three?"

"As if we could resist your delicious offer." I told her with a big smile. 

"Good, you'd better not resist." Joyce jokingly said to me.

"I'll help then." I volunteered.

"No, no it's ok honey. I remember when Joyce and I would always cook food for you and Chloe, so you just stay put." Mom said, reminiscing about the past.

"Oh, ok then." We obviously weren't in any actual rush and Mom hadn't had her time to talk to Joyce for a while. Her and Joyce are kinda like how me and Chloe were. Best friends that lost contact, so the soft spot in me wanted to give them that alone time.

I looked over at Kate and Warren and called out to them. "Could you guys follow me upstairs for a bit?" I asked them already at the base of the staircase. 

"What's up, Max?" Warren asked.

"Nothing really. I just wanna talk to you guys for a bit, is all..."

"You two should go on. Vanessa and I can handle things, and it'll be a while before breakfast is ready anyway." Joyce aided me.

Kate and Warren didn't look like they opposed at all, but maybe I came off a bit confusing with my sudden need for "private conversation". Kate and Warren followed me upstairs. I looked around and came across Chloe's room.