Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

“Let her go!” yelled David.  “Your fight is with me not her.” 

He moved forward but the man holding the gun shoved it in his belly.  “Don’t move Jew boy or I swear I’ll put a bullet through you,” David recognized the voice behind the white hood.

“I see your now hiding behind the white sheet Hank,” challenged David.  He sized up the men searching for a way for them to escape.  “I’m guessing our sheriff, John Bricker, is behind one of those sheets too, along with Harry Carter.”

Sophie looked at David with shock in her eyes.  She bit the flesh of the man whose hand was around her mouth and he released a yelp.  Sophie’s feet hit the ground.  She turned and ripped the hood from her assailant.

“Oh my God, Harry!” she gasped seeing her father-in-law.

David seized the opportunity and jammed his elbow into Hank’s gut as the man doubled over in pain.  David grabbed the shotgun.  “Run Sophie!”  Sophie ran for the barn entrance, but it was too late.  The other hooded man grabbed her by the hair and swung her to him.  Sophie ripped his hood from his face and saw the sheriff, John Bricker.

John seized her around the neck and clung to her.  Sophie could barely breathe.  “Not so fast, Jew boy,” he bellowed.  “Drop the gun or I’ll kill her.”

“Don’t do it David,” yelled Sophie.  “He’s bluffing.”  David had no choice but to drop the gun.  Hank came up from behind and hit David with his elbow knocking him to the ground.

“Cuff him!” yelled Harry.  Hank stepped on David’s back as John tossed him his handcuffs. 

“What are you doing to him?” choked Sophie as she watched Hank handcuff David’s hands behind his back.  “Stop…you’re hurting him!”

Harry walked over to Sophie and slapped her across the face.  “You have shamed this family, and for that you will be punished.  No grandson of mine is going to be raised by a Jew.”  He grabbed her by the hair and held her tightly as John approached David.

“We told you before that bedding one of our own is a hanging offense around here,” John said to David as he pulled him up by his hair.

“No!” cried Sophie as she pleaded with her father in-law.  “Harry, please don’t do this!  I promise I will do whatever you say.  I won’t marry David if that’s what you want.  Just don’t hurt him.  Let him leave.  Let him walk away and go back to New York.”

“Too late for that girl,” snarled Harry.  “You should have thought about that before you disgraced my son’s name.  Your punishment is going to be watching this Jew boy die.  It will teach you your place.”

“Hang him!” shouted John.

“With pleasure,” Hank smirked as he removed his hood.  He took the rope from a hook alongside the barn and swung it over the rafters.  He tugged on it to make sure it would hold, then made a noose at the end.  He placed the rope over David’s head and around his neck.

“You’ll never get away with this,” yelled David.

“We already have,” laughed Harry.  “Next thing we need to clean up is those niggers you have working the land.”

“No!” said Sophie.  “You will all be arrested for murder.  I promise you if you hurt anyone I will tell.”

Harry grabbed her by the cheeks and squeezed.  “If you ever want to see your son again you will keep your mouth shut and do as you’re told.”

“Get him up on the crate,” said John to Hank.

“I’m not getting on the crate,” yelled David as panic gripped him.