Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Sophie woke with the dawn.  She turned and opened her eyes, but David was not lying next to her.  She sat up and looked across her room, but still no David.  She checked the guestroom, but it too was empty.  She walked into the bathroom and saw David slipping his arms through his shirt.  He winced in pain as he lifted his arm over his head, getting it caught in the sleeve.

“What are you doing?” she snapped at him.

“I was trying to get dressed, but I’m stuck. Help me.”

Sophie stomped toward him and removed his shirt.  “You’re putting it on the wrong way,” Sophie rolled up the shirt and placed it over his head then slipped one arm in at a time.

“What would I do without you?” he grinned.

“You need to get back in bed.”

“I will, I promise, right after I show Jackson the farm.”

“You will do no such thing.  Now I want you to march yourself back to bed.  Is that clear?”

David smiled and placed his hand on her chin.  “You take good care of me my little Sophie.”  He leaned down and kissed her on the forehead then released her and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Sophie ran after him as he headed down the stairs.

“You can take care of me to your heart’s content—after I show Jackson the farm.” When David entered the kitchen a wave of dizziness hit him.  He reached for the table and steadied himself.

“You are not well David.  Now get back to bed.”

“Just let me sit for a minute.”  He sat at the table and waited for the dizziness to subside.  “Is there coffee yet?”

“No, I haven’t had time to make it because I have been too busy fighting with you.”

“Then stop fighting with me and please make some coffee.”  Sophie went to the sink and filled the coffee pot with water.  She added the coffee and set it on the stove to heat.

The dizziness passed. David stood and walked to the back door as Sophie prepared the coffee.  She turned when she heard the back door close and saw that he was gone.  Turning off the stove she ran after him.  She caught up to him at the bunkhouse.  He was leaning on a post waiting for another dizzy spell to pass.  She went on another one of her tirades yelling at him and calling him stubborn.  When she was through David stepped onto the bunkhouse porch and knocked on the door.  No one answered.  David knocked again and opened the door.  Jackson and his family were not inside.  For a minute David panicked, but he saw that their personal belongings were still there, he sighed with relief.  “They must be in the fields,” he spoke aloud.

“But they haven’t had breakfast yet!”

They walked to the fields and saw Jackson and his family working.  Everyone was doing their fair share, even his young son.  Seeing them, Jackson handed a crate to his brother and walked to greet them.  “Morning folks,” he said with a smile.  “What are you doing out of bed David?”

“I came to show you the farm, but I see I am too late.”

“We start work at first light,” said Jackson.

“If you give me about thirty minutes, you can break for breakfast,” said Sophie.

“I thank you right kindly ma’am, but me and my family have already had breakfast.” 

For the first time Sophie noticed a slight accent.  She was a little disappointed not being able to prepare the morning meal.  “Well, lunch is at noon.  You do eat lunch, don’t you?”