Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The next few days were busy for Sophie.  Monday the wagon was loaded and stocked with crates for the farmer’s market.  She prepared two days’ worth of meals since she would be gone all day Tuesday. 

The two ailing men were running her ragged.  Zebadiah had moved over to her bedroom during the day and he and David played checkers most of the afternoon.  She thought by them keeping each other company it would make it easier on her, but it wasn’t.  They called her constantly.  Sophie can I have a piece of cake; Sophie can I have a glass of tea; Sophie can you bring up the newspaper?  She felt if she heard her name called one more time she would scream.

The only good news that day was Jackson’s announcement.  He informed Sophie and David that they were staying.  He gave no reason other than it had been decided by Esther that they should stay.  When he gave the good news, Esther was by his side.  She remained silent as her husband spoke, but Sophie caught the gleam in her eye as Esther gave a slight nod in her direction.

Four o’clock in the morning came early as Jackson drove Sophie and Benjamin to Root’s Farmer’s Market.  She and her son would have to sell on their own since David and Zebadiah were incapacitated.  Since David began working at the farmer’s market their clientele had practically doubled, mainly women who loved the dark-haired man’s attention and flattery.  Sophie kept up as best as she could and even Ben held his own with the customers.  He shined like a miniature David as all the women gushed over the young lad; David had taught him well.

Gifts began to pour in as their regulars discovered David was not well.  One woman bought him an apple pie, since it was his favorite, and wished him a speedy recovery.  Another woman bought a cherry pie, since it was his favorite.  By the time the day came to a close Sophie had two apple pies, two cherry, a lemon meringue, and peach pie, all David’s favorite.  Even the butcher, who really did have a heavy thumb, brought David a gift.  “Tell him I had the pastrami delivered all the way from New York City.” 

Sophie had thanked everyone for their kindness and assured them David would return next week.  She didn’t care if he felt better or not, she did not want to face those women alone.  By the end of the day she and Ben were exhausted.  While Jackson drove the truck Sophie saw Ben asleep in the back and she leaned her head back and sighed.  “I am glad the day is over Jackson.  If I heard one more woman say …tell David we missed him today, I brought him his favorite apple pie...I brought him his favorite cherry pie….Will he be back next week?”  Sophie released a screech.

Jackson looked over at Sophie and began to laugh.  “Mister David has a way with people Miss Sophie.”

“People I could handle, but all those women!” Sophie scrunched up her nose and made a face.  “I could throw up.”  Jackson broke out in a full hearty laugh.  Sophie frowned and folded her arms across her chest.  “I’m glad to see you think it’s funny.” She continued to frown.  “It was annoying and grated on my very last nerve.”

“I see that green eyed monster lives at your house too,” Jackson continued to laugh.

“I’m not jealous,” she scowled at Jackson.  “Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Whatever you say Miss Sophie, you’re the boss.”

“And quite calling me Miss Sophie,” she snapped again.  “I am Sophie, only Sophie.”

“All right, only Sophie,” he smiled at her.

“And another thing, why won’t you eat with us?  I make all this food and you take it to the porch.” Sophie was on a roll and she couldn’t stop herself.  “It is not neighborly when a friend invites you over to sup and you eat on their porch.  Come tomorrow morning when I call for breakfast no one is going to eat or work ‘til you sit at my table, is that clear?”