Chapter Twenty-Five

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Sophie leaned against David as he wrapped his arm about her waist.  They walked together across the lawn.  Once by the road, they turned and looked at the lit house in the darkness.  “It looks quiet in there from the road,” said David as Zebadiah’s bedroom light turned off.

“Yes it does,” she sighed.  “Tomorrow is going to be crazy.  Half the county is going to be here for our wedding.”

“We could always run away tonight and elope.”  David smiled at her. 

“And ruin everyone’s fun? They would have our hides for sure.”   Sophie folded into David’s arms and looked into his eyes.  “Are you happy David?”

“I am very happy now that I have you.” He smiled and gave her a kiss.  They continued to walk heading for the barn.  David lit the lanterns and the barn illuminated with an orange glow.  Sophie fell back onto the pile of hay as David joined her, lying next to her.  “You look mighty tempting lying in the hay.” He smiled, put his arm around her waist, leaned over and kissed her.

“Tonight you are kissing Sophie Carter,” she smiled and ran her fingers through the back of his curly dark hair.  “But tomorrow you will be kissing Sophie Levin.”

David liked hearing those words.  “Well my future Mrs. Levin, you’re soon-to-be-husband wishes to kiss you again.”

David kissed her and Sophie kissed him back.  A shadow ran across her vision and she opened her eyes in time to see a white streak float across the barn door.  “Did you see that?”  Sophie tried to sit up.  David pushed her back against the hay.  He looked over his shoulder and saw the darkness of night out the barn door.

“It’s nothing,” he smiled and kissed her again.  “By this time tomorrow night you will be my wife and there will be no stopping me Sophie.  I’m going to make love to you for twenty-four hours straight.”

“Why wait?  Make love to me.  Right here in the barn.” She smiled mischievously at him.   

“I thought you wanted me to only hold your hand tonight since tomorrow is the wedding.”

“Well if we are not going to make love, then at least kiss me again,” she beckoned as her desire for him grew.  Sophie pulled him to her and kissed him passionately sparking his desire. He ran his fingers through her blond hair and pulled her tighter to him as he kissed her with a fierce passion.  They were consumed, lost in each other’s embrace as they shut out the world around them.  David’s only thought was for Sophie as he ran his hand along her hip and up her side.  Sophie clung to David, and she felt his body pressed against hers.

They did not hear the sound outside the barn as three men cloaked in white sheets and shotguns entered the barn.  They walked straight toward the two lovers. 

Sensing a presence, Sophie opened her eyes and saw the hooded men.  Terror seized her and she screamed.  David turned, but one of the men shoved the barrel of the shotgun in his back.

“Get your filthy Jew hands off her,” said the man shoving the shotgun deeper in his back.  “Now stand up real slow, and back away from her.”

“We don’t want any trouble,” said David.  “This is my fiancée.  We are getting married tomorrow.”

“Like hell you are,” snarled the one hooded man as he reached over and grabbed Sophie by the arm.  He pulled her from the hay bale as she kicked and clawed at him.   But she was no match.  The man lifted her off the ground by her waist and flung her to his side.  He placed his hand over her mouth preventing her from screaming.