She looked over at Jackson and saw the large dark skinned man’s eyes fill with water.  “You is asking us to sit at your table?”  His words were choked.

“Yes Jackson I am begging you, please honor me by allowing me to serve you and your family.” Sophie placed her hand on Jackson’s shoulder.  “On my farm a man is judged by his character, not by the color of his skin or his religion.  I believe you are of great and noble character and I am grateful to you for saving my farm.  I know it will take time to trust me, but I ask you to please give me a chance.”

Jackson could not speak.  He was too moved by this tiny white woman with a heart ten feet tall.  He wiped the tears from his eyes on the back of his large hand. 

“Now I have a favor to ask of you,” said Sophie.  “I need to go to Lancaster the last Thursday of this month right after lunch, but I don’t drive well enough to go on my own.  Will you take me?”

“Sure I will take you Miss Soph...I mean Sophie,”

“Thank you, but I must ask you to keep it private between us.  I don’t want David to know.”

“You isn’t seeing a beau behind his back?”  He looked at her out of the corner of his eye while still keeping his attention on the road.

Sophie laughed.  “Heavens no.  All right I will tell you, but not a word to anyone.” Sophie waited for Jackson to promise.  She took a deep breath.  “I am going to see a minister or what they call a Rabbi at a Jewish church or synagogue as they call it.  David has lost his way in the Jewish faith and I want to help him and I can’t help him if I don’t understand.”

“You want to rebuild a man’s faith?” Jackson shook his head.  “That’s a mighty tall order for a little lady.”

“I want him to find peace Jackson, the way he did for me.”

Jackson was beginning to understand.  These two very different people found a special bond together.  David and Sophie leaned on each other to carry them through to the next day.  It was a rare love, almost spiritual.  “I will keep your secret, and I will take you to this Rabbi as you call him,” said Jackson.  “David is a lucky man to have found such a treasure.”

Sophie smiled and leaned her head back against the seat.

*          *

The truck pulled up alongside the house.  Sophie walked to the back and woke Ben.  She lifted the crate with the pies from the truck and carried them to the house.  David was waiting in the kitchen along with Zebadiah.  “You’re late,” stated David as Sophie placed the crate full of pies on the table.  Ben sat at the table, laid his head down, and yawned.

“It was crazy today,” Sophie went to the sink and poured a glass of water and drank.  “I am so tired all I can think about is taking a bath and going to bed.  Have you eaten?”

“Yes, we ate the casserole you left in the oven,” said Zebadiah.  “How was business?”

“We sold out as usual.  You should be very proud of your grandson because he did an excellent job.”

“They were calling me little David,” said Ben as he picked up his head.  “I did just what you told me.”

“Good for you, Ben,” David laughed.  He looked in the crate and saw all the pies.  “What are all the pies for?”

Sophie ignored him as she walked over to the table.  She pulled out a white package wrapped with tape.  “This is from the butcher.  It is pastrami all the way from New York City.”

David eyes lit up. They were no longer swollen, but still black and blue.  He opened the package and looked at the pastrami.  “Look at that,” he beamed as held the pastrami up in the air and slid a piece in his mouth.  “Oh my God, does that taste good.  It melts in your mouth like butter,” he said in a very New York accent.  “Here try a piece.”  David handed Sophie, then Zebadiah, and Ben a slice.  “Well?  Isn’t it like nothing you have ever tasted before?” he laughed.  “Now if we only had rye bread and brown mustard.  That would be a superb sandwich.”