Chapter 1 - Rejections

“It’s called an open relationship for a reason!” Isabel groaned, trying to explain to me that the thing she had with one of the soccer players was somewhat legit. They were all big shots, and acted like they ruled the place. To almost every girl in the school they were gods, the guys they couldn’t wait to go and screw at the parties every weekend.

Isabel had a fling with Lucas, one of the star players; she called it an open relationship, deluding herself to something actually happening. “You’re nuts, okay.” I said, trying to stop the conversation. “Look, the point of open relationships is to see other people.” I rolled my eyes, “Just because he comes back to you because ‘the sex is good’ doesn’t mean he actually likes you.”

“C’mon Liss, you’re just jealous because you can’t get with any of them, especially Niall.” I sighed, “No, I don’t want to get with them, College is meant to be for study, to get somewhere in life.” She shook her head, “Look, just because you are the smart girl doesn’t mean you can’t go out and have fun.” I rolled my eyes. “Look, I gotta go, I’ll be late for class. I will see you back in the dorm?” she nodded, “Have fun, science girl.”

Isabel is my best friend; she's the pretty, tall, skinny blonde one. She may be blonde, but she is smart, even if she is deluding herself with Lucas. Everyone we meet see us as the very unusual pair of friends, because I am the average height, and healthy weight kind of girl, I had a few good curves, which was what I liked better than Isabel. She had her blonde hair cut short, and my brown hair was mid-length.

I wore glasses and had the cuter-not-sluttier style, whereas Isabel would wear whatever hipster clothes she wanted, choosing the latest Chanel jacket rather than something that will keep you warm.  

I was the more sensible one, thinking before acting, and knowing what I was getting myself into. Everyone says I over think everything, but I see it as analysing. Hence why I picked science, I was always good in high school but I didn't necessarily like the subject.

I walked into the room, there was already a few people in their seats, some revising notes, others talking. Today was a topic test, a progress check. I liked to think I was prepared. But I was never sure. I always tell myself I will probably fail, but my mother told me it was just a thing that smart people do; talk themselves down, only to feel better about themselves when they achieve decent marks.

I sat down in the seat I usually sat in and waited, looking at the clock. When our lecturer entered the room, I noticed everyone go somewhat rigid, freaking out over the test. He sat down at his desk, “As I call your name, come grab a paper, and you will start when I say.” He spoke.

A lot of people say he is mean, scary and all sorts, but I didn't mind him, he taught me well.

 He looked down at his piece of paper. “And before we all get comfy, you will sit in alphabetical order, starting here.” He pointed to a desk in the front corner of the room.

He listed off a few names, “Niall Horan.” He read out, the blonde boy laughed before standing up, getting cocky. Only earning a scowl. “Melissa Howie.” I got up with a sigh, walking over to his desk. He looked up at me when I grabbed my paper. “I expect you to do well in this.” I nodded. “Yes sir.” I wasn’t sure what to say, best to play it safe rather than sorry.

I took my seat next to Niall. He looked over at me, “I’ll let you suck me off if you give me all the answers.” I scoffed, nearly choking. “You know you want to, any girl would.” I looked at him, “How far up your ass is your ego?” he shrugged, “Just give me your notes.” He said, looking back at the front, “Why should I? Give me one good reason.” I said bluntly, he bit his lip.