Chapter Thirty Two

I stood amongst the crowd of other civilians and fighters, listening to Tom's speech about losing people. Tom soon put his speech down and began speaking from his own words. I always thought that Tom spoke better when he wasn't trying to mimic anyone else. As soon as he was done, Anne followed him over to the liberty tree, both of them writing and hanging their metal leaves on the branches. Ben's arm sat across my shoulders comfortingly as we made our way over to the tree. I picked up two of the leaves, breathing deeply and evenly as I wrote down the names of my parents. I hung them on one of the branches, stepping backwards with my gaze still on them. Ben pressed a kiss to my temple, rubbing my hair soothingly. I blinked back the tears forming in my eyes, letting myself curl into Ben as we watched other people come up and put names on the tree. As the tree began to fill up, there was an explosion from somewhere to close for comfort. My heart leapt into my throat as everyone jumped into action, running towards their different stations. I followed Ben and Denni towards our defense station, jamming a magazine into my gun as we ran. I skidded to a stop as I reached the overturned cars that marked our station.

"What are we up against?" Denni asked as we reached the cars.

"Probably that attack we've been planning for weeks for." I said, throwing my hair up into a pony tail quickly.

"I hope Dad gets word to the Volm in time." Ben said, adjusting his grip on his gun as we crouched behind the cars.

"Remember the drill?" Denni asked.

"I'm up first, then Lys, then you." Ben replied with a nod.

"One two three." I said.

"Three two one." Denni nodded.

"Let's do this." Ben said.

The battle was over pretty quickly, Tom had gotten word to the Volm and they took out most of the forces. As soon as it was over, those who fought headed to the mess hall and those who didn't came and helped pick up whatever was destroyed.

"We're gonna go grab some food, you coming?" Ben asked.

"Yeah I'll catch up." I replied.

Ben nodded, even though he looked like he wanted to question my decision, and turned around to walk back inside with Denni beside him.

I walked through the debris, looking around for Hal until I finally found him.

"Hey short stack." Hal called, giving you a side hug.

"I am not that short." I replied, pushing him lightly.

"Shorter than me." Hal said, waving bye to Maggie as she walked off. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to see how you were doing." I replied. "With rehab and everything."

"Pretty good." Hal replied. "You?"

"I'm ah...I'm okay."

"Alyssa." Hal sighed. "I know Ben's your boyfriend and your best friend but I spent seven months with you, I know when you're lying."

"I was just wondering if um...if you sometimes...well I sometimes get these dizzy spells. And sometimes it gets to the point to where I blackout and I can't remember anything. I just...I was just wondering if you got stuff like that too." I said.

"I ah...I don't get dizzy spells like that but I do get these...dreams." Hal explained. "I...I'm usually in the woods and I'm walking...just walking. And then I turn around and uh...Karen's there. And then I wake up."

"Have you told anyone about them?" I asked.

"Just Maggie." Hal answered. "Have you told Ben?"

I shook my head.