Chapter Twenty Five

Ben and I stood on the roof of the hospital two week later, watching the skies for any signs of beamers.

"Shift's over." Ben said as his watch beeped. "Wanna grab some food?"

"God yes, I'm starving." I said, smiling.

Ben smiled back, opening the door into the school.

"M'lady." He said with an overdramatic bow.

I laughed, curtseying.

"Why thank you sir." I said in a horrible fake British accent, walking down the stairs.

Ben followed me down, settling his arm around my shoulders as we walked down the hall.

"You think Hal and Maggie are still on patrol?" I asked him.

Ben shrugged.

"If they are they should be back soon, they left before we went up." He replied.

I agreed with him as, getting ready to speak when his hand flew up to his hair and he let out a low groan.

"What's wrong?" I asked worriedly, my eyes widening.

"Head's buzzing...hurts." Ben stuttered out as Matt ran up to us, breathing hard.

"Hal and Maggie are back." He said with wide eyes. "They found Karen. Buried in the woods."

"Where are they Matt?" I asked.

"In the front." Matt replied.

Ben and I took off down the hall, rounding a few corners until we reached the front of the hospital, standing on one of the steps as we watched Hal and Maggie talk to Tom.

"Don't let her stay." Ben said, shaking his head. "We can't trust her, she's still attached to them."

""How do you know that Ben?" Tom asked.

"I-I can hear it." Ben answered, swallowing.

Tom turned back to Hal, speaking to him in a quiet voice. Ben and I watched as Lyle took Karen from Hal, climbing up the stairs and taking her into the hospital. Hal followed them, throwing a dirty look over in Ben's direction as he passed us.

"Are you sure it's her?" I asked Ben after most of the others had left.

Ben nodded, looking down at his shoes and rubbing the back of his head.

"It's a buzzing, like tv static. It wasn't there before she came and I have a feeling it won't go away until she leaves." He explained, looking up at me. "You believe me?"

"Yeah. Yeah Ben I believe you." I said. "I've just...I've known Karen this entire war, I just can't see her trying to hurt anyone."

"It's not her." Ben replied, shaking his head. "It's them."

--------

Thirty minutes later Ben and I sat at one of the tables outside one of the wards where Karen was.

"Think she'll wake up?" I asked, drumming my fingers on the table.

"Honestly?" Ben asked, continuing after I nodded. "I hope not."

I nodded, knowing that he was going to say something along those lines. I was about to speak when I saw Karen sit up in the bed inside the room, making Ben and I jump up and run to the door.

"Don't talk to her." Ben said after we entered, standing near the door. "I told you, we can't trust her."

"Ben." Doctor Glass said, rolling her eyes.