Chapter Twenty Seven

When I woke up it was light, meaning it was at least the next day. The caravan was stopped, but I honestly didn't care. I stared out the bus window, thinking that if I stared long enough and hard enough he would just appear, come jogging through the forest and up the bus steps to stand in front of me with that stupid smirk on his face. I shook my head, clearing my thoughts as I stretched out my limbs, trying to swallow back the lump that was still in my throat. I sat on the bus for another few minutes, taking in my surrounding and listening to a few conversations to figure out where we were. After finally realizing what had happened, the bridge being blown up and Charleston being rubble, I finally heard Weaver begin talking. He was giving one of his famous pep talks, telling us that we need to go on and we need to stay strong.

Easier said than done I thought, shaking my head.

I kept my gaze on my knees as some fighters began boarding the bus, only looking up when Tom sat next to me.

"I'm glad to see you're awake." He said. "You slept right through yesterday."

I shrugged.

"Colonel Porter's alive." He said. "He's taking us to Charleston."

I nodded, giving him a half smile. Tom stood, rubbing my hair gently.

"Where's Hal?" I asked, not moving my gaze. "I heard some of the others talking, he was on advance scout which means if we made camp he should be here. Where is he?"

Tom didn't answer, instead the he moved to the side as someone else took his place. I finally lifted my gaze, a little bit of pressure being lifted off of my shoulders as I saw Hal. He sat down next to me, running a hand through his hair before he spoke.

"You okay?" He asked.

I nodded even though a few tears slipped out.

"I'm fine." I said, my voice wavering a little.

"Do you need anything?" He questioned, setting his gun on the seat across from us.

I nodded, biting down on my lip.

"What do you need?" He asked. "Just tell me."

"I need Ben." I stuttered out, fully sobbing now.

Hal pulled me into his chest, letting me cry into his shoulder as he ran his fingers through my hair calmingly.

"I'm so pissed at him but at the same time I miss him so freaking much and I just want him here." I said. "I just want him here."

"I know. I know." Hal whispered. "Everything's gonna be okay."

"Why did he have to go?" I asked, looking up at him. "He thinks we're better off without him. How can he think that? I sure as hell am not better off without him."

"I have a feeling that we're going to see him again." Hal said, moving my hair off of my neck.

"He told me he loved me." I whispered. "He told me he loved me and I didn't say it back. God how could I not say it back?"

Hal hugged me tighter, letting me rest my head on his shoulder.

"Maybe it's because you weren't ready or maybe it's because he didn't give you time." He explained. "Or maybe...it's because you're scared that he may not actually love you. Cause of how everything was before all of this."

"You talk like him." I said, wiping my face.

"Technically, I'm older, so he talks like me." Hal replied.

"I love him."

"I know."

----------

We arrived at Charleston late in the afternoon, I walked behind Hal as we made our way into the building below the rubble on the surface. My mind wandered as we walked into what seemed to be where everyone ate, watching as they all looked up at us. I looked behind my shoulder, intending to say something to Ben when I remembered that he wasn't there. I swallowed heavily, following Hal down the immobile escalator until we reached the floor. As we did, the other people stood, clapping. I rolled my eyes mentally, sighing silently. I followed Hal through the line of food, sitting next to him. We ate in silence, or more like Hal ate.