Chapter 79/Resistance/Why couldn't you die ten minutes ago?

Start from the beginning

Now five days later we were traveling through New Hampshire doing a kind of New Mechanical Order reenactment of Thelma & Louise except there was no sign of Bradpit and Thelma never tied a rope around Louise and tied her hands together. Perhaps they did, but I never saw that version of the directors cut. It was now about six in the morning, Araneae sat in the front seat driving all night, her body was short so it was like driving with a very dangerous granny peering over the steering wheel. We traveled at night to maximise charge time during the day and to avoid robots spotting us at a distance. The sun was going to come up and we would stop soon to charge. Sometimes we 'slept' in the car, sometimes in places we found. Our slow progress was made worse by turning to keep away from patrols and other robot contact.

On the second day Araneae's blood supply ran out. She had held me down made a puncher in my thigh. I think she was trying to avoid obvious vein points so she could deliver me to Zola in near pristine condition. Araneae had to save power - she didn't have fresh blood for her chips and if she kept vamping me the more she did the more likely it was she would kill me and get Zola's madder than a bag of bad bats. It was wearing her down and draining me.

"You know what the difference between a wild human and a slave is?" said Araneae.

"I don't know - loss of freedom, a collar" I said.

"Dignity" said Araneae.

"hmm try this. You know what the difference between a hunter killer and a bucket of camouflaged vomit is" I said.

"No" she said.

"The bucket" I said. Not very good huh ? Yeh, tell me about it. I claim being tired and drained (literally). I needed iron so badly I was starting to fantasise about using a spanner for a lollypop.

Araneae reached a tentacle around my neck and not for the first time.

"Go ahead. Kill me. Hurt without the threat of death or injury doesn't make anyone give in. Kill me you might as well cut your own throat. If you had a throat. I wonder what the robot equivalent to cut your own throat is?" I reminded her.

Araneae threw a knife and it landed next to my head in the car seat headrest. I knew she couldn't hurt me without damaging me and if she couldn't hurt me she couldn't make me obey her or scare me.

At first she had gagged me. The we had driven along it was about 3 in the morning on the second evening of driving. l guess, Araneae was low on blood, she had been mumbling all day about 'Wintermute'. She was staring out the driver side window at the glowing robot facility in the distance on her side not noticing what was in front. Then I had started to scream in my gag and she ignored me. I grabbed the steering wheel and pulled it. This had made her stop. A herd of bison strolled over the road and narrowly missed us. Most were young but even the young ones could have crushed the car. After the she had removed  my gag. I hate driving at night so we sort of talked.

Today we were ending the fifth night since just-read-the-instructions escape. I always smiled when I thought of that, me next. The light of a cold dawn began to fill the sky. We were driving through forest and farmland. Most of the landscape was empty cleared by the new mechanical order. The road had small weeds pushing up through the tarmac. Nature reclaiming the world we had imposed on it. We carried on and only stopped a few times when the way was blocked by a herd of bison or woolly mammoths. 10,000 years of development undone in just over a year. Like the robots were trying to erase the signature of humanity left on the landscape.

"I wanted to say something for a while now and I'm just going to come out and say it." Araneae said. It wasn't a stock Portal quote she was actually talking.

"Is it you want to stop taking blood from my thigh?" I suggested. I hated it.

"No, it's that your face is a mess" complained Araneae.