Chapter 15: Stories, Gifts, & Trust

Începe de la început

“Mella relax. Here.” Nadai handed the necklace back to her. Was it just Mella, or was the silver shining brighter? Mella put the necklace back on. It didn’t feel any different, but Nadai’s next words put her mind at ease.

“The necklace has a spell in it to keep the magic from my sisters and me away from each other. It shouldn’t make you sick anymore, but be warned: if you don’t wear it for more than three days, the magic will start attacking again.”

“Okay, thank you Lady Nadai.”

“Remember what we told you, Mella.” Nadai said as she faded away. The door opened behind her and she turned to see Alex, Kai, Dilan, and Kev walk out onto the roof.

“Kev said you wanted to explain everything?” Alex said nonchalantly.

“Alex, I’m going to explain everything as much as I want to. But I want to know two things before I tell you anything: will you promise not to tell anyone? I need to be able to trust you guys.”

“Mella, why do you think we were told to train you?” Dilan asked exasperatedly.

“And don’t say because Gwen said so, even though that’s part of it.” Kai added.

“Gwen could tell from what I told her and what she saw from meeting you that you were spooked seeing people acting friendly towards you. She wanted you to make some friends. And you thought she hated you.” Alex said quietly.

“What they’re trying to say in a very roundabout way is that you can trust all of us, Princess.” Kev finished off for them, smiling.

“Oh for the love of the spirits, Kev, stop calling me that!”

The boys all roared with laughter.

“Mella, one thing you’re going to learn real fast with Kev is he’s as stubborn as a mule. Get used to the name, Princess.” Dilan said, laughing.

“Oh, not you too!” The guys laughed even harder. Mella couldn’t help but start laughing too. It was infectious. Eventually they stopped and Kai spoke up.

“What was the other thing you wanted to ask us?”

Mella grew serious. “Alex told me Ryn was a city of refuges. Are you hiding too, or did you live here before?”

“Gwen and I have been here since before they came.” Alex said.

“I’ve always been here too.” Kai said.

“We haven’t.” Kev and Dilan said simultaneously. Kev kept talking. “We’ll tell you our story if you tell us yours, Princess. Deal?”

“Deal. Grab a piece of roof, this might be a while.” Mella said, sitting down. Let’s play show and tell first. The sun was gone and the stars were beginning to shine. The guys sat down around in a circle.

“Kai, this will explain the magic poisoning.” Mella flicked a hand out into the middle of their little circle and willed a flame to appear. It flickered into life, a pink glow showing Kai’s, Dilan’s, and Kev’s shocked faces. Alex’s face didn’t show anything.

“Berna is a fire village. That’s where I woke up, knowing practically nothing, not even my own name…”

Mella told them almost everything. She left out the bits about how she couldn’t tell between Rhynish and Ivayan, or the visions, or the mark on her arm. She told them about hearing Lea, about the magic lessons, the memories from them, and Myra’s combat lessons. She explained the headaches as best as she could, and told them why she left.

The moon had risen by the time she was done. The guys sat in silence, taking in everything she had said. Kai eventually broke the silence.

“So…you learn from memory? How does that work?” he asked.

Mella laughed drily. “Kai, I have no clue. I’ll see magic, try it once, and a memory floods in. Then I know what I had tried and then some.” Mella looked at Kev and Dilan. “A deal’s a deal. What happened to you guys?” Before one of them could say anything, Alex got up abruptly and left, muttering about needing to get something. Kev and Dilan looked at each other.

“You’re right, Princess. Deal’s a deal.” Kev said.

“We grew up in a tiny water village called Orne.” Dilan began. “It was so boring, and we wanted nothing more than to run off and never look back. We wanted to go on adventures, see other places. But not like this.

“Around July of last year, ‘bout a month before the King’s men went and destroyed the temple, his stupid kids were going ‘round getting all the elementals of age. The other people of Orne wouldn’t have it. You see, we were the only elementals there, besides the old man who taught us. They weren't very fond of magic. They drove us from town, saying they would hand us over to the capital if we ever came back." Dilan said bitterly. "The worst part? Our mom and dad just stood there and let them. They didn't say a word, but gave us some bags and told us to go.

"We had heard of Ryn, and decided to go there. It took us less than a week, it might have been longer, but we were chased by soldiers a day away from Orne. By the time we got here, we were dead on our feet and hoping we could just be safe." Dilan broke off, and Kev picked it up from there.

"We were actually a lot like you when we found you. We didn't trust anyone or take kindness well. We just hid in our own little world. A few days later Alex came up to us and started hanging out with us. Kai came later and we started to lighten up. We became most of our old selves again."

"Wow…I didn't think something that bad happened to you guys. You're always so…happy. And you're related? No offense, but you look nothing like each other."

It was true. While Dilan was tall, blonde, and bright blue-green eyes, Kev was a little shorter, pale, brown haired, and silver eyed.

Dilan smiled a little. "We get that a lot. So, what are you gonna do now?" he asked.

"I'm staying here, I guess. I want to learn water magic and you guys are really cool. But can we hold off on the magic tomorrow? I want to try some combat stuff again." Mella asked the boys.

"Whatever you want to do, Mella." Kai said. Mella jumped a little. He had been so silent, she thought he had left as well. "We'll do that tomorrow. Oh, look who decided to come back!"

Alex had come back holding the box Mella had left at the table…was it this morning? She wasn't even sure what day it was anymore.

"Gwen said Nadai told her that you need to open this." Alex held it out to Mella.

"Thanks for going in my room without asking. I'll open it later, though. I'm tired." Mella stood up and took the box from Alex.

"You're tired after sleeping for a day?!" Dilan exclaimed.

"You know, I didn't ask for the magic poisoning. It wasn't exactly restful. I'll see you guys in the morning." Mella walked towards the door to go back downstairs, leaving the four of them in the flickering light of the fire.