" The gate keepers are weak. If they were as powerful as we thought they were then they could've defeated the Uffilians as soon as they came through the gate, " hissed Ambrogio.

" That is far enough, Lord Ambrogio. Do not speak ill of the gate keepers. They are doing their best to fight." Vartan fixed him with a soul sucking glare that had Ambrogio swallowing nervously.

" What do you say, your highness." Vartan's stare softened as he stared at me expectedly.

I heaved a sigh then finally spoke." We will not ask any alliances from the Uffilians. We will contact the gate keepers and ask for their protection instead." I stood and gave a bow then left the council room.

Vartan followed after me. He was my source of essence. He was the only Valyr who knew of Remerrik Asib. He hadn't been at my coronation and so his thoughts weren't erased.

After the coronation I've been so weak refusing the essence that was offered to me by my workers. I was so deeply distraught that I wanted to starve myself to death. It was when Vartan came to the palace and he saw my state that he started feeding me his essence.

At first I was reluctant to accept his offerings. What Valyr in their right mind would lower themselves to being someone else's blood bag? I admired him for taking care of me and in return I did favours for him. I had gifted him with Yanko, he had been a warrior for king Velaric. He'd been one of the many warriors who spat vile words to me and made me feel every a bit as useless as their king made me feel.

Vartan was a sadistic maniac who thrived from the pain of others. I was very much aware of his interest in me but I refused to entertain his wild fantasies. I belonged to someone else. I belonged to Remerrik Asib.

" Anything new?" he asked.

" There's a Valyr in Rwendale who might know of Kalithseus whereabouts."

He raised a brow questioningly. " And you plan to visit the Valyr?"

I smirked at the thought of giving the Valyr a visit. It would be a visit he would never forget. " Oh, yes. I'm going to Rwendale tonight. "

Anyone who was under Kalithseus protection was as good as dead to me. By day I was a king to my people and by night I was a hunter who thirsted for the blood of his enemies. I was very discreet in my transgressions and despite my discretion some nokuratus managed to find the dead bodies of my victims . My reputation preceeded me. All knew of the blood seeker. All feared the blood seeker. It was a very demanding yet thrilling part of me that was both scary and addictive.

I loved the look of pure horror whenever I killed my enemies. It was exhilarating and tantalising. I was by no means innocent and I couldn't let other nokuratus think they could walk all over me.

" Did you get any information from Yanko?"

A sinister smirk stretched across his face. His eyes twinkled with mischief. The look on his face told me all I needed to know about all he had done at night. I regretted asking the question. I could just picture all the lewd things he had already done to him. Vartan was a shameless darkling who could get away with everything with a smile.

" He told me that there is a warlock who lives in Dylin. He said he is part of the Albarion brotherhood and their role is to feed their Uffilian masters and they also shield them from any potential threats. Believe it or not, the Uffilians are weaker in daylight and so they have protectors during the day," he explained.

" Good work, Vartan. You're a great help and I'm grateful for everything you've done for me so far."

" It is my pleasure,my king, " he said that looking me straight into the eyes. I looked away for fear that I would be trapped. Many who lost themselves to his gaze found themselves bound in his bed chambers bare of clothing.

We went our separate ways and for that I was grateful. Though I hated being in my bed chambers it was the only place I could think about my beloved. The opulent room was the only place we'd shared our special night after he saved me from Velaric.

I was certain I could never find love anywhere but with him. He was my life in every way possible. It was why I was so determined to save him. Surely he was not forever lost. I couldn't let that happen. He was mine. His heart was mine for the taking.

" Remerrik is mine and soon you'll be mine as well. "

I didn't forget Kalithseus' parting words. I had to tread carefully or else I would find myself locked up in his bed chambers. The prospect of being imprisoned wrecked me with so much  anger and sadness. I didn't want to experience something like that ever again. My days of crying out to the gods for help were over. They never really listened to any of my prayers. I just had to follow my heart and hope for the best but at the end I knew I would free my warlock. I didn't necessarily know how but I couldn't afford to let him down.

* * *

When the last rays of the sun sunk from the horizon I was ready to play. Clad in black I went to Rwendale. Bryson, ever the loyal chauffeur and friend drove me there.

Vartan had offered to come but I refused his company. Something told me that I shouldn't get used to his help. There will come a time where Yanko wouldn't satisfy him and then he'd start demanding things of me. He had enough information to ruin my reputation. But I was prepared. I wasn't foolish to think he'd remain loyal for a long time. And when that time came I'd kill him.

My hands were already covered with so much blood that nothing would restore my innocence back. I was glad for that. In this world there was no place for innocence, especially, when you're a king. Though I was as dark as a starless night I still wanted to do everything to protect my son's innocence.

It was the king duty to deal with those who threatened the throne by any means necessary. Every throne was cloaked in blood. A little evil was necessary in some cases. The fear from my enemies made me feel invincible. It gave me a reputation.

We arrived at Rwendale at eight pm. Rwendale was known for its thriving brothels, tricksters who robbed unsuspecting victims blind and colourful creatures who weren't afraid to flaunt their otherworldly beauty. It was also the only town that was free of humans. All the nokuratus took great pleasure in that.

Bryson pulled up infront of a lovely marbled mansion on the outskirts of the town. I rolled my eyes, frowning at the magnificent building.

We didn't waste time as we walked up the winding driveway to the mansion . Bryson took hold of the gold door knocker then he knocked. We waited patiently for someone to answer the door.

The door opened revealing a lass wearing a crimson tight silk dress and a beaded collar necklace. Bite marks marred her flesh and she looked dazed and tired. She reeked of blood and sweat. I could also detect the scent of sex and perfume.

She ushered us inside then led us to the lounge. She motioned for us to take our seats on the plush white sofas with gold flowery patterns then she went to call her master.

I found myself tapping the hill of my shoe against the marbled floor impatiently waiting for the Valyr to come meet us. I couldn't wait to drive my dagger through his blackened heart. He was scum for working for those demons. Tonight he would meet his maker.

❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

First chapter of the third book, finally. I'm really happy and excited with this book. I'm not going to lie. I'm going to be seriously busy this year. Updates will be slow for all the books that I'm currently writing. I hope I do complete them sometime in the future. Thanks for reading as always and if you like this novel please vote ⭐. It would mean the world to me.

By Martha Streams
© All Rights Reserved