Chapter One

“Miss! Miss!” a gruff voice called.

     Groaning, I rolled over in my seat. “Mom, I’m not getting up today,” I murmured sleepily.

    A sudden push had me jolting awake. “This isn’t your mom, kid. You need to get off the train. It’s the last stop,” he informed me.

   My eyes flew open. “Where are we?”

   “New York City,” the man replied.

   My eyes widened. New York City! I was planning to go to Ohio! “Oh god,” I whispered, slouching back down in my seat.

    “There ain’t no time for slouching and groaning, kid. You need to get off the train,” the steward ordered.

    Sighing, I grabbed my bag and suitcase and hopped off the train. Grand Central Station stood before me in all its busy glory. Hmm, maybe I could work with New York. My old suitcase rolled behind me as I made my way through the station, bumping into about thirty people on the way. Grand Central Station was filled with busy business people and lost tourists. It didn’t exactly scream home, but beggars can’t be choosers I guess.

     And it’s better than the life I had at home.

    I walked out of the station and onto the sidewalk. Thanks to me and my brilliant luck, I collided with someone, managing to fall face forward into the cement.

    I groaned. “Just my luck,” I murmured into the ground. Getting up off the floor, I managed to head butt a man, who happened to be leaning down to help me. “Ouch!” I hissed. I looked up and saw the brightest blue eyes I had ever seen. Brighter than my own. This man looked to be in his late twenties, he had mahogany coloured hair. He was beautiful, until he opened his mouth.

    “Jesus Christ!” he hissed, holding his nose. “Do you normally headbutt people who try to help you?” his voice seethed.

    I shrank down, wincing. I opened my mouth but no words came out. The mysterious man moved his arm away from his nose. Thinking he was going to hit me, I abruptly shut my eyes and winced, waiting for the impact. When nothing came, I opened my eyes and saw him staring at me with a look I didn’t recognize.

     My eyes widened when I realised what I done. Quickly, I picked up my bag that fell on the floor and my suitcase, making a beeline in the opposite direction. God, Scarlett, not everyone is going to hurt you!

     Clenching my fists at my sides, I paused on the middle of the busy sidewalk, trying to calm myself down. It was about time I put my fears behind me. No-one was going to hurt me anymore. I just needed to keep reminding myself of that.

     I hate him. I hate the man who made me like this.