Chapter Two

I stood in my room, rummaging through my suitcase. So far, I couldn’t find anything to wear. I mean, I had clothes, but nothing for an interview. The closest thing I had to black slacks was skinny jeans. They’d just have to do. I paired them with a burgundy tank top and a boyfriend blazer. It was the closest ‘interview’ outfit I had.

      While putting on my shoes, I checked to make sure I had everything. When I was all set, I hurried out the door, locking it behind me and made my way to the lobby. I had to pay Mallory for the first night as I forgot to do it last night. When that was done, I rushed out of the door and towards the nearest bus stop.

     New York wasn’t my idea of getting away. I never planned to come here. It was too busy and everyone had an opinion. I kept myself to myself on the bus and tried not to make eye contact with anyone.

      Fifteen minutes and five stops later, I was off the bus and continuing the minor walk to Jackson Miles’s house. When I got there, I was shocked as can be. It was massive. By far the biggest house I’ve ever seen. On the outside, it looked like loads of houses together but when you get closer you realise it’s only one. And it belongs to Jackson Miles.

      I buzzed in on the gates and an automatic service spoke.

       “If you’re here for the nanny position Mr. Miles is looking for, then can you please use the side entrance. Thank you.”

       Furrowing my eyebrows, I looked around, but I couldn’t see no side entrance. A very pretty young girl was walking towards the gates looking at me.

      “Are you here for the nanny job?” she asked kindly.

      I nodded meekly. “Yeah. This thing here said to go to the side entrance but I can’t find one,” I explained to her.

      “Yeah, it can be hard to find. I’ll show you where it is, if you want?” she offered.

       “Please, if you don’t mind,” I said relieved.

      “It’s no problem, just follow me,” she waved her hand and trotted off.

      I followed behind her, staring at the house in awe. How rich could one man be? “Um, so,” I began, starting conversation. “Do you live here?”

     The dark haired beauty began chuckling. “Oh, god no. I could only wish. I work as a maid for Mr. Miles.”

      “He has a maid?” I inquired, feeling shocked. This guy actually had a maid! Alright for some I guess.

     She shook her head. “Maids. Twenty-three in fact.”