♪ All We Know ♪ {28}

Start from the beginning

"My father's dead." I pointed out the fact, and it was true. My biological father dropped off the face of the planet since before I was three, and I would never admit to Marco being my father. Desperately in the back of my mind, I tried to conjure up the happy memories with the man in front of me- trying to force myself to remember that people can change, and once my deal with Mike was finished, everything would change for the better.

But it was a tad hard when he was constricting my airpipes.

I clenched my own jaw, staring him right in his dark eyes. His face was ragged, with hints of a five o' clock shadow around his chin and dark circles under his eyes. He looked horrible and for a split-second I felt pity. But it was gone as quick as it came. He slammed me against the wall, and I felt pain blossom in the back of my head.

"Don't tell me you're sneaking out to deal. Are you that kind of girl, Lacey? Or do you sell your body for a few, quick bucks? Huh, you little slut?"

"Aw, Marco. I didn't know you kept up with my sex life. How sweet of you. As long as we're having this wonderful bonding moment, I should tell you that I'm fucking George Clooney tonight. Don't wait up for me." I hissed back, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Don't talk back to me!" Marco growled, slamming me against the walls again.

Stars. That's all I could see as my head swam in a sea of darkness. Lights flickered in and out of my vision, making me dizzy, but the stars were most noticeable. Hands gripped the collar of my shirt, holding me in place against the wall. A small trace of sweat trailed down my temples as I focused my apathetic gaze at my step-father.

"I'm asking you again, Lacey. Where are you going?" He growled, his breath rancid and hot on my face. A drunk Marco I could handle, but when he was sober. . .

"It's none-," He pushed me against the wall forcefully and I flinched, swallowing hard. "None of your business, Marco."

"Damn it, why are you so stubborn now? You're off doing who-knows-what, who-knows-where, and you never tell me anything. I'm only trying to look out for you, but you just push me away. Amelia and I didn't raise you to be this way!" Marco snapped, stumbling a little as I attempted to push myself out of his grasp.

"You didn't raise me at all!" I yelled back, finally freeing myself from his hold. The stars swam alongside my sightline, making me lose my footing too. My head ached as I stumbled across the room, desperate to reach the door. The competition was at Camelot Arena, and it was a forty-five minute walk. If I didn't leave now, I would never make it. This was the last round to be held in Seattle, and I wanted to make it last.

"What... what did you say?" Marco asked, and the tone of his voice made me halt my movement. Whirling around slowly, I frowned at how calm and low his voice was. He met my gaze head-on, confusion in his eyes.

"You were never there for me, Marco. Sure, you were the first few months, but after Mom-" I swallowed down the bile rising in my throat. "What happened to you?"

For that brief moment, my question seemed to hit him hard, and I saw the rage wipe clean off his expression. It was pure confusion in his eyes, as if a spell had snapped, and he was no longer a monster. But I knew him better than that. Pretty soon, this Marco would disppear after a shot of whiskey, and I would be left wishing for him to regain himself like he did just now. I always wondered when his bipolar moodswings began but I knew the root cause had to be the alcohol consumption.

Marco opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off quickly, "Anyway, I have a plane to catch. I'm off to Vegas to get hitched to a marijuana dealer and then get fucked all night. Don't worry, I won't be using any condoms. Adios." Without waiting for a reply, I staggered forwards and out the door, with only the stars in my head to keep me company.