6 Years Ago

Lauren is at the mall shopping. She's looking at one of the phone kiosks - hoping to purchase a new case for her phone. "Hey, watch where you're going!" Lauren turns around startled by the volume of a man's voice. Seconds later, the same yelling man runs into her - causing them both to fall on the ground. In a panic, Lauren starts pushing the guy off. Lauren stays sitting on the ground watching the guy running away. The owner of the phone kiosk runs over to Lauren and gives her a hand up. Lauren bids the man thank you and leaves the mall - shaken up by what just happened.

While on her way out, she spots two police officers out front. Assuming it's for the same man she just got tackled by, she doesn't think any more of it. As soon as she walks out the door, one of the canines started barking crazily. Lauren jumps at the dog, before walking faster.

"Hey! Come back here!" A police offer shouts.

"Are you talking to me?" Lauren questions with a shake in her voice.

"Yeah, you. Get over here. Now!"

"What seems to be the problem, officer?" Lauren is nervous, her eyes scanning everything but the officer's face - too scared to look him in the eyes. She feels something brush against her leg and sees the same dog that started barking, sniffing her all over. While trying to shoo the dog off of her, the officer says he will need search her. Lauren obliges, figuring the candy bar in her pocket is what the dog smells. But wait, aren't these dogs trained to smell drugs?

"You're under arrest for the possession of drug paraphernalia. You have the right to remain silent. Any statement you make can and will be used as evidence against you in a court of law. You have the right to consult with a lawyer and to have the lawyer present during interrogation. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one may be appointed to represent you, at no cost to you. Do you understand?"

"Yes." Lauren says without any hesitation while nodding her.

"With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?"

"Yes, officer," the man doesn't ask what she wants to say, so she continues, "I swear on my life this isn't mine," Lauren panicked.

"We hear that all the time. Take her to the station." The officer ordered.

"No! I swear it's NOT mine. Officer please, this guy tackled me moments ago. He must've stuffed it in my pocket before he got back up." Lauren stressed, eyes looking at the other cop who was standing by the driver side door.

"What guy?" The officer who cuffed her asked.

"The one I assume you guys are looking for. Which would make sense as to why you guys are out here in the first place with a canine." Lauren said, slightly confused.

The two officers looked at each other before laughing. "What's so funny?" Lauren snarled, annoyed that they think this is some kind of joke.

"We're local cops. We're always patrolling this mall." The short officer chuckled. "Listen ma'am, I would advise you to stop talking until you have an attorney present." The officer said, but Lauren knew it was more of an order than a suggestion.

---
The next morning, Lauren was woken up by a security guard. He said something to her, but she didn't hear him. "I'm sorry, what?" Lauren questioned.

"I said you made bail. You're free to go." The guard deadpans.

"Holy shit." Lauren mumbled under her breath. After changing back into her clothes, she asks the woman at the front desk who bailed her out. "Jacob Brooks." The lady answers.