Chapter 26

Two and a half hours. That's how long Caleb was in surgery. When he came out the doctor said to wait a few minutes to let the medicine wear off and then I could come in. I waited 10 minutes and went in the room. He was hooked up to multiple machines, multiple needless were stuck in him, and he had a cast on his leg. I walked over to him and he opened his eyes and looked at me.

"Amy. You're still here?", he asked.

"Yeah. I'm not going anywhere yet", I replied.

"After I came out of surgery, the doctor said my heart was close to failing twice. If I hadn't been drinking before I went into surgery it would've stayed strong", he said.

"I don't understand why you did it. Why did you go out there?", I asked.

"I couldn't stop thinking about you. Everything I do reminds me of you. I thought if I did what I did I could stop. Obviously I was wrong", he replied.

"It's my fault. It's all my fault you're like this", I cried.

"No its not. It's never your fault. You're to sweet to do something like this to someone. I know you would never hurt me on purpose", he said.

"But if I would've gave you another chance you wouldn't be like this. If I never would've turned my back on you this morning you wouldn't be in a hospital bed with a broken leg and almost dead", I said still crying.

He took my hand (the one that doesn't have any needles) and looked into my eyes.

"Look. It's not your fault and it never will be. I put myself in this situation. You're not the reason for this. I was the stupid one that made the bet with Tyler. I was the one who didn't push Alyssa away at prom. You're not the reason for any of it. I was the one being stupid", he said.

Suddenly I felt a little better. Hearing him say that made me happy.

"Caleb", I said.

"Yeah", he said.

"I forgive you", I said.

I know what I have to do now. Even though he said all those things that doesn't make up for what he did at prom. In front of the whole school.

"Really?", he asked.

"Yes. But I'm not getting back together with you. Call me once they release you or something happens", I replied.

I walked out the room wondering if that was the right choice. I know it was. Just in my heart I feel like it wasn't.