||Chapter 14||

||Chapter 14||

<|Third Age 2974|>

    The ride back to Erebor is far faster than the ride away from it.  Whether it is Thorin's exertion of panic or the tension between the riders, but the ponies seem to move faster than before, and with greater ease.  To them, they simply want to be away from the quartet who gets in more trouble than they are worth.  At least in the eyes of the ponies, that is.

    Dwalin is the only dwarf awaiting the four when they arrive early, his eyes latching onto that of Thorin Oakenshield's orbs.  In the king's eyes, Dwalin sees an innate panic, which he figures has to do with Endor, seeing as she is riding with the king.  Of course, as a great friend, Dwalin desires to know the cause of Thorin's fear, but it will have to wait until Thorin's anxiety ceases.

"Come on boys.  Dis needs you in the kitchens," Dwalin ushers Fili and Kili as they dismount their ponies in a hurry.  Truly, they are swinging off the backs of the animals before they come to a complete stop, wishing to be away from the serious tension.  And thus, they run off after Dwalin, heaving their small bags over their shoulders without a look back at Endor and Thorin.

The King Under the Mountain dismounts as gracefully as before, pleased to be home yet still panicked due to Thranduil.  His hands move to wrap around the waist of the hobbit, who is less than capable of dismounting, and yet, she hits his help away.  "I can do it."

"No, you can't.  I will not have you breaking an ankle," Thorin commands, grabbing her forcefully around the waist and lifting her to the ground.  Behind them, a stable boy grabs the ponies with ease, Endor looking after the direction of Dwalin.  Wishing to be far from the dwarven king, Endor moves after Dwalin, only to be grabbed around the wrist by Thorin.  "I need to speak with you."

"Can it wait?" Endor asks, the close-contact with the king and the day's travels wearing on her nerves.

"No, plus it's our typical meeting time anyway," Thorin replies, wishing heartily to reconcile his relationship with the female.  Not only is his guilt eating him away, but he fears for her safety from Thranduil.

Endor sighs at the king's words yet follows behind him as he fast-walks to the library where the firelight paints their golden faces.  Instead of heading to a table like typical, Thorin directs her to an armchair by the fireplace, taking the couch next to her.  The king rests his forearms on his knees, leaning forward to meet the weary and wary eyes of the female hobbit.

"I would like to apologize for my words two days hence.  I was wrong to differentiate yourself from that of my Company when you fit in perfectly.  They see you as family," Thorin remarks honestly, from what Endor can tell, as he stares at her.  And sure, the woman is glad for his apology, though curiosity overcomes this is fiery waves.

"Why now?  Why are you apologizing now?" Endor asks tensely, fed up with the antics of this king.

Thorin seems hesitant to answer the woman, yet relinquishes his own intentions to hide the truth in her favoring of honesty.  "Because Thranduil threatened you."

"In what way did he threaten me?" Endor rushes out, eyes wide in shock and disbelief.  What has she ever done to get Thranduil's attention?

"He threatened to take you from us...I am sorry that it took a threat for me to realize how much you mean to these dwarves," Thorin remarks, melancholy painting the tired rims of his blue eyes.  The last thing he would ever want is for Endor to come under pain via his own competition with Thranduil.

"It is fine, Thorin, though I will not claim that your words did not hurt me.  The Company is the first family I've found since the incident," Endor remarks with a blunt honesty that she usually avoids.  It's not that Endor is not typically honest, but she usually avoids any reference to her past in Hobbiton.