||Chapter 5||

||Chapter 5||

<|Third Age 2974|>

Endor's dreams were finally coming true after all the years of dreaming and struggling. She has found a family in the mountain home of the dwarves, branching out in ways she had never known before. That old tendency of hers to make friends everywhere has reappeared, though with the dwarves rather than the hobbits of the past. She is a magnet to all the people she meets, and a true light in their dark home.

In the mornings, she would train with the nephews and Dwalin in the weapon of her choice. She has made great headway in her skills, surprising many of the dwarves who thought her too weak due to race and gender. But if Endor is convinced to do anything, it will be showing these dwarves that women can be just as strong as men, if not stronger.

For lunch, Endor would dine with either her uncle, Dwalin, or the Company, if not all of them together. These were times of great joy and cheer for all of them, laughs exchanged more than words on many occasions. The bantering of Bilbo and Endor Baggins was always a sight to see, if not the pranks of the nephews and this niece. Ultimately, anything funny that happened, Endor was bound to have some part in it.

In the afternoons, Endor would often read in her room, work on her garden outside Erebor, or visit with others: on Wednesdays, it was Bard and his family, for example. Really, this hobbit spent time with every notable person in the Mountain, other than the king and his key advisor. They were far too busy in their respective duties that Endor practically forgot about their presence in Erebor.

At night, the Company and other close friends would gather for dinner in a hall of Erebor, spreading smiles through casual conversations that were not monitored in any way. Endor would surround herself in her direct family and those she grew to love: Bilbo, Dwalin, and the two sons of Durin. Of course, she felt a connection to all the dwarves, as they were so similar to her, but these four were her key company. And thus, she sat by them every night...all until one.

Somehow, the news that Thorin was joining them for dinner spread to the Company's ears before it reached her. Thus, she finds herself surprised as she walked into the hall, with the two nephews close to the table's head, while Dwalin and Bilbo sait farther down the table. Moving slowly towards the others in suspicion, she visibly claims the chair left between Bilbo and Dwalin, almost purposefully. Feeling heed to sit down, she leans over the back of the chair.

"What is going on?" Endor asks, knowing that Kili and Fili are sitting farther away for a good reason. She looks to the other dwarves now filling the two brothers' typical seats, smiling happily at them despite her unease. Across from her, Bombur sits with a large grin, seconded by his two family members on either side. Bofur simply grins at the blonde in that characteristic look of trouble.

"The King is joining us, lass," Bofur quips in his jolly voice. She furrows her eyebrows at this mention, hearing nothing of Thorin before today. Indeed, if she had thought about it earlier, their lack of conversing on him should have deemed him dead in all reasoning. Truly, it is overly suspicious that no one sees him or speaks of him. Endor can feel her curiosity stirring.

"Why tonight?" she asks, finally pulling out her chair and taking a seat. She cringes at the loud sound of pulling the wooden chair further into the table, so that she may easily access the food in front of her. Normally, the feast is half gone by the time she arrives, yet it is untouched tonight. Endor deems it a notion of propriety to await the king's company before eating. That explains the sound of growling stomachs around her.