Chapter 1

It was the first day of Beau's new school. He had been homeschooled for the first year he was with his new parents. They knew about what happened to him and tried to give him all the love he needed. Beau took none of it. He never came to his dads for anything. He hardly talked and always kept to himself. He barely ate the first few months.

"Beau! You're going to be late for school if you don't hurry. Sam made pancakes for you!" One of Beau's dads said. He was standing outside of Beau's room.

Beau came out a minute later, same bored expression. Matt, his dad, gave him a big hug and a "good morning". Beau ignored it basically. He kept going until he got to the bathroom where he did his morning routine. He didn't eat the pancakes and left to go wait for the bus, but was stopped before he got outside.

"Oh! Wait! Beau we were going to take you to school." Sam said from the kitchen, Matt soon joining him.

"...okay..." Beau shrugged. Sadly for his dads they had never seen him smile. He was always so sullen.

They sighed and got in the car with Beau. Matt was explaining the school the whole way there. He gave Beau a schedule and explained where all the classrooms were.

When they parked Sam and Matt turned around to Beau and smiled. "Have a good day." Sam said. "Make lots of friends!" Matt chimed in too.

"I'll try..." Beau awkwardly got out of the car. He looked down at the schedule while walking, trying to see where his first class was. He noticed everyone was taller than him. Beau grumbled. While walking, Beau completely ran into another person. He face planted into this person's chest and fell backwards.

"Whoops! Sorry little guy." The guy chuckled, helping Beau up. "Didn't see ya there!"

"Yeah...no one does..." Beau gathered his things and tried to walk by.

"Hey wait! Are you new here? I could show you around. I'm Hudson by the way!" The guy introduced himself, but Beau didn't care.

"Thanks for the offer. No." Beau continued into the school building, Hudson following. "...why are you following me?"

"Because I have to go inside?" Hudson smiled and chuckled. He looked over Beau's shoulder at his schedule. "Hey, we have the same first period. I'll walk you there!"

"I can find it on my own..." Beau mumbled, puffing out his cheeks.

"But we're already going in the same direction...so?" Hudson smiled down at Beau.

Beau grumbled. "Fine...I guess..." He tried to ignore Hudson, even though he kept talking to Beau.

"I don't think I got your name?" Hudson asked. He was determined to be Beau's friend.

"It's Beau..." He answered, staring at the ground.

"Hi there Beau! Well here's the classroom." Hudson said, opening the door. He sat down next to an empty desk and gestured for Beau to sit next to him.

Beau rolled his eyes and sat down. The whole class seemed to be talking about him.

"Who's the new kid? He's so tiny? What school did he come from? What's his problem? He looks like he hates everything..." Whispered questions filled the room.

Beau tried to ignore the class whispers, but he always knew they were there. He was paranoid. Beau's past still haunted him he swore he saw someone he knew.

"You okay?" Hudson asked, which was odd for Beau to hear.

"What? Uh...yeah." Beau nodded. "I'm fine..."

"Hey...just tell me if they're bothering you. Okay?" Hudson gave a concerned smile towards Beau.

Beau looked away and hid his face in his arms. He only let his eyes show as he looked around the room. He was about to say something to Hudson, but noticed he was distracted.

The teacher came in a few minutes later. He was an older man and he carried a suitcase in. "Alright class, sit." He spotted Beau. "You must be the new student. Introduce yourself." The teacher was a bit commanding and it made Beau uneasy.

Beau begrudgingly stood up and looked at all of the faces in the class. Hudson was smiling. No one else was. "I'm Beau..."

"Go on." The teacher made him say more things about himself, which Beau did not want to do.

"...I was homeschooled last year...by my dads..." Beau said quietly. He looked over at the teacher, who raised a brow at the "dads" comment.

A girl raised her hand. "You have two dads?" she spoke.

"Yeah...Sam and Matt..." Beau blushed slightly, trying to hide the stares. "Can I sit...?"

"Mm...yes..." The teacher nodded and turned away. He freaked Beau out.

The day dragged on. Hudson stayed by Beau's side whenever he could, he even introduced his friends to Beau. During lunch and break he invited Beau to sit with him. Beau at first declined, but was soon forced to sit. When the day was over Hudson walked with Beau outside.

"So, see you tomorrow? Oh wait!" Hudson pulled out a small slip of paper and scribbled something on it. "It's my number, ya know, just in case you need it."

Beau took the paper and put it in his pocket. "Thanks..." He wondered why this guy was being so friendly to him. He did see Hudson being nice to everyone, but he was especially nice to him.

"No problem!" Hudson smiled down. "Oh, I think that's your ride." He chuckled, pointing at a car.

Beau turned around and noticed his dads standing and smiling at him. He sighed and turned back to Hudson. "Uh...well...bye." He walked off to the car.