t w o

Adam's P.O.V

"Can I have one?" I ask Spencer.

He pops one up from the box. I grab it, place it between my lips and lite it up.

"Since when do you smoke?" He asks.

I take a long drag, allowing the burning sensation erupting in my throat and exhale. "I stopped before I met Lis in a while."

"And what made you get back to it?" He arches an eyebrow, judging me with his eyes. I lean back on the ugly orange couch, where I'll be probably sleeping at. It's quite comfy.

"None of your business," I bluntly reply. He sighs and gets up from the chair. "Fine. You're leaving in the morning though."

"Yeh, yeh. Don't worry about it. I just had to get away." I puff forming a cloud of smoke.

"You're just scared to face it. Cut the crap," Spencer says. I didn't expect that coming.

"Oh so you're on Team Lis?" I mock.

"I'm not on any team. I'm just tired of the back and forth you guys are always at. You effect your surroundings but you just don't realize it."

"Oh-oh. I sense some trouble in Riley land," I chuckle and turn off the cigarette in the ashtray.

"Just go to sleep. It's 3 a.m. I'm not in the mood," he cuts me off. Before he reaches his room I call after him.

"What?" He barks. I roll my eyes.

"Thanks," I flash a smile.

"You're welcome," he smiles back. "Good night."

I adjust the blanket and pillow that Spencer left me on the coach. I lay back, eyes wide open.

What is she doing right now? Probably sleeping. I shouldn't have left her that way. I knew I shouldn't but I would've hurt her even more. But she is hurting. I don't want her to cry but she's Lis, of course she's crying. Her eyes say more than her mouth does. I wince from the image in my head.

Was I jerk in the way I acted? Yes.

Did I do what she expected me to do when I would find out? Yes. I walked away. I don't deserve her. When she found out about the bet, she stayed. When I found out, I walked the fuck away. I practically ran.

How can I look her in the eye and confront her? How can I stay with her knowing that every time she looks in my eyes she gets reminded by my brother? How am I supposed to heal her wounds and reduce the pain? I can't.

I groan and toss around several times on the tiniest couch trying to sleep. It isn't till a few hours later, after checking my phone several times and fighting the urge to text her, that I fall sleep. But I wake up to the most obnoxious sound I ever heard.

The light strikes my pupil and I flinch, covering my head away. I sit up and rub my eyes several times. When I open them, I find Spencer creeping on me as he stands near the couch, propping his head out.

"You awake?" He asks.

"Now I am," I remark. He chuckles.

"Was that you singing?" I ask.

He smirks, "yes. I'm preparing for American Idol. Thinking of auditioning."

I arch an eyebrow. "Are you serious?"

"Hell yes. What? You have a problem against that?"

"No go ahead do what suits you. I mean if you want to embarrass yourself then sure. " I remove the blanket and stand up, feeling the coldness of the tile underneath my feet.